Donate organs - reduce your prison sentence

Started by Syt, February 03, 2023, 03:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it ethically ok to offer reduced sentences to prisoners who donate organs?

Yes. It's an alternative way to repay their debt to society.
1 (5.6%)
No. The promise of freedom creates too much pressure to make it a "free" choice.
16 (88.9%)
I like kidney pie.
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 03, 2023, 05:48:49 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 03, 2023, 04:15:18 AMYou can't meaningfully consent in this situation

Of course you can.  Yes or no.  Two choices.

Complete non sequitur. The number of choices doesn't impact whether consent is meaningful.

Barrister

Donating bone marrow: I don't like the idea of it being an automatic sentence reduction, but the idea that it could be used as a factor by parole boards.  Besides, bone marrow grows back.

Kidneys?  Gosh no.

All of that being said though... prisoners tend not to be the healthiest group of people you'll find.  So I'm not sure how many suitable donors you'd even find in that population.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Maybe for things like blood and bone marrow and things that grow back. But even that seems...dangerous.

Organs? Oh hell no.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

And incarceration rates would certainly not increase to provide a greater supply...

Barrister

So I'm looking at CBS's (that's Canadian Blood Service, not the TV network) requirements for blood donations.

I can't find reference to most drugs, but the entry for cocaine is interesting - if you've used cocaine intravenously you are lifetime barred from donating blood.  So I'm going to assume that applies to the intravenous use of all street drugs.

There are also bans for people with Hep B/C, as well as HIV.

3 month deferral for tattoos - and prison ink is definitely a thing.

I really don't think this is a good idea on health and safety grounds alone, without going to the ethics of it.

Heck - part of CBS's questionnaire includes "have you been to prison in the last 12 months".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on February 03, 2023, 11:27:35 AMComplete non sequitur. The number of choices doesn't impact whether consent is meaningful.

What other factors are missing?  They are not minors. 

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 03, 2023, 03:01:15 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 03, 2023, 11:27:35 AMComplete non sequitur. The number of choices doesn't impact whether consent is meaningful.

Age is hardly the only factor.  As you probably know sexual consent can be fraught with issues even if both parties are of age: imbalance of power is a big one (employer/employee, doctor/patient, priest/parishioner).

crazy canuck

Sometimes I wonder if you are just playing a parody.

This has got to be a troll.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on February 03, 2023, 03:06:46 PMAge is hardly the only factor.  As you probably know sexual consent can be fraught with issues even if both parties are of age: imbalance of power is a big one (employer/employee, doctor/patient, priest/parishioner).

Is that the relevant factor here?

Priests, preachers, and I would argue to a lesser extent doctors are problematic because of the trust issue.  Catholics are programmed to believe priests, etc.  That doesn't seem to apply here.

Employer/employee relationships are fraught because of the risk of favoratism and potential legal liability.  Does that apply here?

Valmy

I mean I am fine with prisoners donating organs. I am just not fine with them getting time for it. That isn't a currency I want to see organs bought with.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 03, 2023, 04:14:23 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 03, 2023, 03:06:46 PMAge is hardly the only factor.  As you probably know sexual consent can be fraught with issues even if both parties are of age: imbalance of power is a big one (employer/employee, doctor/patient, priest/parishioner).

Is that the relevant factor here?

Priests, preachers, and I would argue to a lesser extent doctors are problematic because of the trust issue.  Catholics are programmed to believe priests, etc.  That doesn't seem to apply here.

Employer/employee relationships are fraught because of the risk of favoratism and potential legal liability.  Does that apply here?

What all of them boil down to is this: an imbalance of power.  And that absolutely applies here.

The notion that fines from tickets laid by police can go to police department's budgets is already quite problematic (here criminal fines go into government general revenue).  Now you're going to add organs?

But like I said, I think this is much more easily dismissed on straight-up health grounds.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on February 03, 2023, 04:49:25 PMWhat all of them boil down to is this: an imbalance of power.  And that absolutely applies here.

The notion that fines from tickets laid by police can go to police department's budgets is already quite problematic (here criminal fines go into government general revenue).  Now you're going to add organs?

But like I said, I think this is much more easily dismissed on straight-up health grounds.

Surely you are not saying that in every situation with an imbalance of power consent is impossible?  Every time I buy a product from a large corporation my consent is not meaningful?  Every time a poorer person dates a richer person?

This is different than local police forfeiture.  Mostly because the organs and marrow are not going to the benefit of the warden, or the prison staff, or whatever.

Zoupa

Let's ask a different way. Why would prisoners get a reduced sentence for donating organs, Yi?

Zoupa

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on February 03, 2023, 05:10:35 PMLet's ask a different way. Why would prisoners get a reduced sentence for donating organs, Yi?

So that more people can get transplants.

Incidentally this is not asking whether prisoners can meaningfully consent a different way.  It's a brand new question.