Scientists Are Reincarnating the Woolly Mammoth to Return in 4 Years

Started by viper37, January 31, 2023, 04:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

It's cool and all but I wonder what the business model is here and how they're funding such expensive work.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Colour me extremely skeptic on those experiments. I wonder if they're done privately because no ethics board at any public body would greenlight such a project.

The Brain

Quote from: Josquius on February 01, 2023, 04:25:10 AMIt's cool and all but I wonder what the business model is here and how they're funding such expensive work.

I assume that the important mission is developing and proving the manufacture of bespoke animals, and technologies associated with this that could conceivably have a number of possible uses. The "mammoth" stuff I guess is just a headline-grabbing way to get exposure and claim a "good" cause. The juice lies elsewhere.

FWIW I have a really hard time seeing for instance Sweden allowing the introduction of wild hairy elephants/mammoths. In addition to negative effects on reindeer herding, natives' rights, logging etc, given the amount of time they've been gone they're effectively an alien species now (even if they were actual bona fide mammoths) with associated environmental concerns. As a novelty in captivity they could possibly have a place, but "creating intelligent animals" just to "keep them locked up" isn't in sync with the times. With countries like Russia anything is possible of course, but it's Russia.

Edit for messerschmitts: obviously it may simply be a con to fleece investors.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Quote from: The Brain on February 01, 2023, 04:48:34 AM
Quote from: Josquius on February 01, 2023, 04:25:10 AMIt's cool and all but I wonder what the business model is here and how they're funding such expensive work.

I assume that the important mission is developing and proving the manufacture of bespoke animals, and technologies associated with this that could conceivably have a number of possible uses. The "mammoth" stuff I guess is just a headline-grabbing way to get exposure and claim a "good" cause. The juice lies elsewhere.

FWIW I have a really hard time seeing for instance Sweden allowing the introduction of wild hairy elephants/mammoths. In addition to negative effects on reindeer herding, natives' rights, logging etc, given the amount of time they've been gone they're effectively an alien species now (even if they were actual bona fide mammoths) with associated environmental concerns. As a novelty in captivity they could possibly have a place, but "creating intelligent animals" just to "keep them locked up" isn't in sync with the times. With countries like Russia anything is possible of course, but it's Russia.

Edit for messerschmitts: obviously it may simply be a con to fleece investors.

Agree that it might all be a stunt to get free publicity. And yes, there's no way that such an animal could be reintroduced in the wild, as you say they've been extinct for so long that they have become alien species. Such a thing might be indeed kept in captivity in some kind of novelty way in a zoo or a bespoke location, but there's no way it could get reintroduced in the wild.

Every time this kind of genetic engineering experiments have been feasibly mentioned in the past has been in the context of either helping species on the brink of extinction to hold on or to recover those very recently extinct because of human action. To bring back an extinct animal from so long ago is Jurassic Park material.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on January 31, 2023, 04:17:20 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 31, 2023, 04:15:04 PMAt least with big animals they're easy to erase if reintroduction proves a horrible idea.

Not necessarily.  Siberia is BIG.

Alberta (and lots of other places) have problems with feral hogs.  Those fuckers can be huge, but we haven't been able to come close to eradicating them.
A hog is *slightly* smalller than an elephant though ;)

Hogs also breed faster than elephants.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: The Brain on February 01, 2023, 04:48:34 AM

Yes, it's just a proof of concept.  They'll go for other animals later on.  With ethics aside, they could save animals from near extinction and allow trophee hunting.  Like lion breeding farms.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Yeah there are lots of animals close to extinction or recently extinct in the wild this could be used to save while their habitat and niche are sort of still intact.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

To be fair on mammoth and the environment-they've been gone a long time but it wasn't that long ago you had wild herds of smaller but still big animals.

I recall hearing not too long ago of research with a practical text  in South Africa (iirc) finding that soil really needed mega fauna or livestock stomping about on it to ensure its health for some reason.

No idea how this applies to different landscapes. The tundra isn't the savanna. But I would imagine there's a increasingly unfilled niche,as numbers of existing animals fall, for big animals.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

I must be getting old because I think this is a terrible idea.  What's the point anyway?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on February 01, 2023, 03:15:21 PMI must be getting old because I think this is a terrible idea.  What's the point anyway?

The reasons I just stated  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on February 01, 2023, 03:15:21 PMI must be getting old because I think this is a terrible idea.  What's the point anyway?

There may be other reasons for reaching that conclusion  :D

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on January 31, 2023, 04:09:50 PMI'm not sure what I think about introducing a "cold-resistant elephant" that resembles a woolly mammoth into an ecosystem that has adapted over thousands of years in the absence of mammoths.
It takes millions of years for an ecosystem to recover from a megafaunal extinction. Ten thousand years is just a blip.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Larch

Yeah, there's nothing to "recover" from. Nature doesn't have a default state it goes back to, it evolves and changes over time and animal and plants must adapt to it.