Scientists Are Reincarnating the Woolly Mammoth to Return in 4 Years

Started by viper37, January 31, 2023, 04:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Link

QuoteThe long-dead woolly mammoth will make its return from extinction by 2027, says Colossal, the biotech company actively working to reincarnate the ancient beast.
Last year, the Dallas-based firm scored an additional $60 million in funding to continue the, well, mammoth gene-editing work it started in 2021. If successful, not only will Colossal bring back an extinct species—one the company dubs a cold-resistant elephant—but it will also reintroduce the woolly mammoth to the same ecosystem in which it once lived in an effort to fight climate change, according to a recent Medium post.

Colossal calls the woolly mammoth's vast migration patterns an active part of preserving the health of the Arctic, and so bringing the animal back to life can have a beneficial impact on the health of the world's ecosystem.

While Colossal originally hoped to reintroduce the woolly mammoth into Siberia, the company may explore other options based on the current political framework of the world.

The woolly mammoth's DNA is a 99.6 percent match of the Asian elephant, which leads Colossal to believe it's well on its way toward achieving its goal. "In the minds of many, this creature is gone forever," the company says. "But not in the minds of our scientists, nor the labs of our company. We're already in the process of the de-extinction of the Woolly Mammoth. Our teams have collected viable DNA samples and are editing the genes that will allow this wonderful megafauna to once again thunder through the Arctic."

Through gene editing, Colossal scientists will eventually create an embryo of a woolly mammoth. They will place the embryo in an African elephant to take advantage of its size and allow it to give birth to the new woolly mammoth. The eventual goal is to then repopulate parts of the Arctic with the new woolly mammoth and strengthen local plant life with the migration patterns and dietary habits of the beast.

If Colossal proves successful on reincarnating the woolly mammoth—ditto the thylacine, also known as the Tasmanian tiger—expect a variety of new ethical questions to arise on how to handle the creature and potential reintroduction issues.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

I'm not sure what I think about introducing a "cold-resistant elephant" that resembles a woolly mammoth into an ecosystem that has adapted over thousands of years in the absence of mammoths.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

At least with big animals they're easy to erase if reintroduction proves a horrible idea.

More important is the more general implication of a successful project of this nature. The Company's biological warfare division will be in touch.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on January 31, 2023, 04:15:04 PMAt least with big animals they're easy to erase if reintroduction proves a horrible idea.

Not necessarily.  Siberia is BIG.

Alberta (and lots of other places) have problems with feral hogs.  Those fuckers can be huge, but we haven't been able to come close to eradicating them.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on January 31, 2023, 04:17:20 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 31, 2023, 04:15:04 PMAt least with big animals they're easy to erase if reintroduction proves a horrible idea.

Alberta (and lots of other places) have problems with feral hogs.  Those fuckers can be huge, but we haven't been able to come close to eradicating them.

If humanity set their mind to exterminating for instance the African elephant I'm confident we could succeed.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Legbiter

Quote from: Barrister on January 31, 2023, 04:17:20 PM

These herds of woolly mammoth will greatly increase the biodiversity of the Albertan plains.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on January 31, 2023, 04:17:20 PMAlberta (and lots of other places) have problems with feral hogs.  Those fuckers can be huge, but we haven't been able to come close to eradicating them.
The cost of gun control :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Yeah Canada may have gun control but they have no shortage of guns. They are one of the most heavily armed populations in the world.

Probably worried about the most heavily armed population in the world to their South. Tucker Carlson just said we need to invade Canada and liberate it from Trudeau so they should be prepared.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

There is a feral hog problem in Missouri.  In the south they grow big and fierce and smart.  In the Ozarks, where the inbreeding is a problem, they are indistinguishable from men.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 31, 2023, 05:30:24 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 31, 2023, 04:17:20 PMAlberta (and lots of other places) have problems with feral hogs.  Those fuckers can be huge, but we haven't been able to come close to eradicating them.

Hogs aren't exactly a city problem. And out in the country everyone is packing :D

*edit* or what valmy said
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on January 31, 2023, 06:05:26 PM

Hogs aren't exactly a city problem. And out in the country everyone is packing :D

*edit* or what valmy said
All this is just further evidence the 30-50 feral hogs guy was right :contract:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

You're not suppose to shoot the hogs in Missouri.  They might vote Republican.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017