News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Green Energy Revolution Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, May 19, 2016, 10:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on January 16, 2023, 03:46:00 AMFrom 1979:

Different pollution concern then however right? It was all about smog and rather more localised toxic air.

This I find is a key tactic of climate change deniers in arguing against it- in the 70s we had that worry, in the 80s the ozone hole, its just a new scam!... totally ignoring that these things aren't issues anymore because we actually tried to fix them but hey, who has time for rational thought.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Josquius on January 16, 2023, 05:30:08 AM

Different pollution concern then however right? It was all about smog and rather more localised toxic air.

This I find is a key tactic of climate change deniers in arguing against it- in the 70s we had that worry, in the 80s the ozone hole, its just a new scam!... totally ignoring that these things aren't issues anymore because we actually tried to fix them but hey, who has time for rational thought.

True. Speaking of fuel pollution and the ozone hole - fun fact, Thomas Midgley Jr. came up with leaded fuel AND Freon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Midgley_Jr.

But he did not live to see the long term effects of either: "In 1940, at the age of 51, Midgley contracted polio, which left him severely disabled. He devised an elaborate system of ropes and pulleys to lift himself out of bed. In 1944, he became entangled in the device and died of strangulation."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2023, 03:58:53 AMI like the attacks in brutalism.

Well, in the "good" city it's basically the same buildings but covered with some vines.  :lol:

I believe that's basically called Eco Brutalism, which to me looks a bit like a deserted building slowly being taken over by nature.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on January 16, 2023, 06:57:56 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2023, 03:58:53 AMI like the attacks in brutalism.

Well, in the "good" city it's basically the same buildings but covered with some vines.  :lol:

I believe that's basically called Eco Brutalism, which to me looks a bit like a deserted building slowly being taken over by nature.

Too environmentally damaging to knock them down. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2023, 07:26:03 AM
Quote from: The Larch on January 16, 2023, 06:57:56 AM

Too environmentally damaging to knock them down. -_-

Full of asbestos, for sure.  :lol:

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on January 16, 2023, 06:17:35 AM
Quote from: Josquius on January 16, 2023, 05:30:08 AM

True. Speaking of fuel pollution and the ozone hole - fun fact, Thomas Midgley Jr. came up with leaded fuel AND Freon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Midgley_Jr.

But he did not live to see the long term effects of either: "In 1940, at the age of 51, Midgley contracted polio, which left him severely disabled. He devised an elaborate system of ropes and pulleys to lift himself out of bed. In 1944, he became entangled in the device and died of strangulation."
You never saw that bit in Wallace and Gromit.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Holy shit.  I had this book as a kid (and it was a kid's book).  This picture just totally took me back.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.