Who's the best basketball player of all time?

Started by jimmy olsen, January 17, 2023, 08:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's the best basketball player of all time

Wilt Chamberlain
1 (5.3%)
Kareem Abdul Jabar
4 (21.1%)
Magic Johnson
1 (5.3%)
Larry Bird
1 (5.3%)
Lebron James
1 (5.3%)
Bill Russel
2 (10.5%)
Michael Jordan
9 (47.4%)

Total Members Voted: 19

crazy canuck

Blocked shots are one of the basic stats that have been tracked for a long time.  A quick googles search says Russell averaged 8.1 and Wilt 8.8 per game.

Both astounding numbers.

I want you to panic

https://www.theguardian.com/science/video/2019/jan/25/i-want-you-to-panic-16-year-old-greta-thunberg-issues-climate-warning-at-davos-video

"Woke" is now almost exclusively used by those who seek to deride it, those who chafe at the activism from which it sprang. Opponents to the idea are seeking to render it toxic. They use it to stand in for change itself, for evolution, for an accurate assessment of history and society that makes them uncomfortable and deflates their hagiographic view of American history.

The Larch

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 20, 2023, 01:53:45 PMBlocked shots are one of the basic stats that have been tracked for a long time.  A quick googles search says Russell averaged 8.1 and Wilt 8.8 per game.

Both astounding numbers.

Where did you get it from? For what I knew the NBA only started tracking blocks (as well as steals) in the mid 70s.

The Minsky Moment

There are no official numbers for blocks until 73/74 but someone tried to create unofficial game logs using newspaper accounts and film.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Heh. In that case both Russell and Chamberlain probably had dozens of triple doubles.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on January 20, 2023, 02:36:05 PMHeh. In that case both Russell and Chamberlain probably had dozens of triple doubles.

For Wilt it would have been triple doubles - points, rebounding and blocks.  For Russell qaudriple doubles - those three plus assists.  The team mates of Wilt might as well have been sitting on the bench. He didn't need them. 
I want you to panic

https://www.theguardian.com/science/video/2019/jan/25/i-want-you-to-panic-16-year-old-greta-thunberg-issues-climate-warning-at-davos-video

"Woke" is now almost exclusively used by those who seek to deride it, those who chafe at the activism from which it sprang. Opponents to the idea are seeking to render it toxic. They use it to stand in for change itself, for evolution, for an accurate assessment of history and society that makes them uncomfortable and deflates their hagiographic view of American history.

jimmy olsen

Wilt did have the most assists in the 1967-68 season (702) just to prove that he could distribute the ball if he wanted.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers