News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you tip on takeout orders?

Started by Barrister, January 05, 2023, 02:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you tip on takeout orders?

Yes - they're depending on tips as part of their salary?
11 (45.8%)
No - not when the "service" is handing your food to you
9 (37.5%)
[Euro ball of light] What is this thing called "tipping"?
4 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Tamas

BTW what about "gratitude payments" i.e. effectively bribing nurses and doctors in the state health sector? It was the default in Hungary for many decades and very much expected. Allegedly there's been a crackdown on it recently but I am very skeptical on its results.

Gups

Quote from: Tamas on January 06, 2023, 08:38:33 AM
Quote from: Gups on January 06, 2023, 08:29:49 AM
Quote from: Tamas on January 05, 2023, 06:15:35 PMIsn't tipping fairly common in Europe with the Brits being the exception? I do tip on takeout orders since there's an easy way to do so via the apps. I do not give cash to delivery drivers, although I do it regularly in Hungary. I just understand it to be un-British.

Really? I thought it was the other way round. Certainly in restaurants in France, tipping is not expected beyond perhaps rounding up (as 15% service is already included in the price by law) whereas 12.5% is routinely added in the UK although usually optional. Similarly my experience in Spain is that the Spanish tip a lot less often than Brits - probably because service providers are better paid than they are here.

My experience is compared to Hungary where you tip excessively - not in terms of % perhaps, but number of occasions. e.g. I was led to believe prior to coming here, that you don't tip in pubs

Tipping in pubs is unusual though not unheard of (usually - "two pints please and one for yourself").

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Tamas on January 06, 2023, 08:57:48 AMBTW what about "gratitude payments" i.e. effectively bribing nurses and doctors in the state health sector? It was the default in Hungary for many decades and very much expected. Allegedly there's been a crackdown on it recently but I am very skeptical on its results.

That's third world shit.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on January 06, 2023, 08:57:48 AMBTW what about "gratitude payments" i.e. effectively bribing nurses and doctors in the state health sector? It was the default in Hungary for many decades and very much expected. Allegedly there's been a crackdown on it recently but I am very skeptical on its results.

Absolutely, 100% no.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

OttoVonBismarck

I can't imagine an American doctor even accepting such a payment, and would be shocked at its proffer.

HVC

They don't need it, they get plenty form pharmaceutical companies :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Quote from: Gups on January 06, 2023, 09:00:05 AMTipping in pubs is unusual though not unheard of (usually - "two pints please and one for yourself").

That becomes a 33 per cent tip. :huh:

But yeah, I know when I went to Malta last and sat drinking at a bar, I noticed that at the end of the evening, customers would buy a last drink and then tell the bartender to have something for himself. I imagine bartender would get pretty drunk by the time he locked up.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Quote from: Josephus on January 08, 2023, 07:03:51 AM
Quote from: Gups on January 06, 2023, 09:00:05 AMTipping in pubs is unusual though not unheard of (usually - "two pints please and one for yourself").

That becomes a 33 per cent tip. :huh:

But yeah, I know when I went to Malta last and sat drinking at a bar, I noticed that at the end of the evening, customers would buy a last drink and then tell the bartender to have something for himself. I imagine bartender would get pretty drunk by the time he locked up.

Thinking of tips in terms of percentages is just so odd.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: Josquius on January 08, 2023, 11:39:58 AMThinking of tips in terms of percentages is just so odd.

That is how it's done here, unfortunately
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011