News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you tip on takeout orders?

Started by Barrister, January 05, 2023, 02:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you tip on takeout orders?

Yes - they're depending on tips as part of their salary?
11 (45.8%)
No - not when the "service" is handing your food to you
9 (37.5%)
[Euro ball of light] What is this thing called "tipping"?
4 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

OttoVonBismarck

I don't tip on takeout, no. I will sometimes give a few bucks as a generalized good will gesture, if you want to call that a tip. But I never give a percentage based gratis like I would for full table service.

I do a lower % tip for buffet waiters, who at buffets I eat at generally do almost no direct service--literally they just refill drinks, separate workers clear the plates.

Josquius

Didn't read op at first and took this to mean delivery - I used to. A few years ago though the person acted shocked and looked at me like I was weird for doing so.
I don't think it's the done thing anymore.

For take away though where I'm collecting myself then fuck no. Maybe back in the days of paying with cash let them keep 2p change?
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

I typically tip 10% on pick-up orders. A server still had to take their time out from assisting other tables to pack up my order correctly, so there is an element of service there.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

No, I don't tip at checkout, and in fact I'm more reluctant to visit establishments that have those obnoxious machines that try to guilt you into it.  That's just hostile behavior towards customers.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2023, 03:28:37 PMI always tip. Even when I buy things at sporting events where everything is already crazy over-priced. I always want to make sure the service people are decently compensated, I know that job sucks.

That's where I stand too. I can afford to throw in a few extra dollars.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Barrister

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on January 05, 2023, 05:18:36 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2023, 03:28:37 PMI always tip. Even when I buy things at sporting events where everything is already crazy over-priced. I always want to make sure the service people are decently compensated, I know that job sucks.

I definitely don't tip at sporting events.

Not only are the prices already outrageous, but it's a casual job.  Nobody is earning their living from slinging beer at hockey games, or whatever.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on January 05, 2023, 02:49:30 PMSo I've noticed this increasingly since the Covid lockdowns.

You order some kind of food or drink for takeout - which means you go to the store and pick the food up yourself.  Maybe it's some pizza, maybe it's just your morning coffee.  But as they hand you your food they give you the point-to-point terminal to pay and up it comes - 'How much do you wish to tip'?

My thought has always been is that tipping is for service.  So if you're getting table-service at a restaurant, or your food is being delivered to you, you're receiving a service.  But on a pick-up order you're just getting your food.  So I hit "0%".

Bonus question to those so inclined - do you tip at buffets?
I'm American. I tip the coffee batrista, the dog walker, the guy who held the door for me at the store. Of course I tip the counter person.

You've clearly never worked the pick up counter at a restaurant, though. There is nearly as much work involved in getting things together for pick up as there is for the delivery driver. And it's usually a server who does it, so they're losing tips by getting your stuff together.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tamas

Isn't tipping fairly common in Europe with the Brits being the exception? I do tip on takeout orders since there's an easy way to do so via the apps. I do not give cash to delivery drivers, although I do it regularly in Hungary. I just understand it to be un-British.

Admiral Yi

I usually toss a buck in the tip jar at Chinese and pizza.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Barrister on January 05, 2023, 05:22:43 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on January 05, 2023, 05:18:36 PM

I definitely don't tip at sporting events.

Not only are the prices already outrageous, but it's a casual job.  Nobody is earning their living from slinging beer at hockey games, or whatever.

Well, I don't actually go to sporting events, so I suppose I don't tip there either.  :P
But I do generally tip everywhere and my sentiment is the same as Valmy's.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Grey Fox

I tip. Especially the younger employees that bothered to stop trying to be influencers and got a job keeping the few restaurants my GF can eat at open.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 05, 2023, 03:21:19 PMI have noticed more and more being overtly presented a tipping option at walk-up counter orders (say, inside a Starbucks or burger joint)...usually always as a "10%, 15%, 18%" option on the little payment devices.  Forcing one in a face-to-face "maybe I'm a cheap asshole" showdown before you're even served.

Here the lowest one tends to be 18 per cent and goes up to 20 and 25. I feel like such a cheapskate when I pick "other"
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Gups

Quote from: Tamas on January 05, 2023, 06:15:35 PMIsn't tipping fairly common in Europe with the Brits being the exception? I do tip on takeout orders since there's an easy way to do so via the apps. I do not give cash to delivery drivers, although I do it regularly in Hungary. I just understand it to be un-British.

Really? I thought it was the other way round. Certainly in restaurants in France, tipping is not expected beyond perhaps rounding up (as 15% service is already included in the price by law) whereas 12.5% is routinely added in the UK although usually optional. Similarly my experience in Spain is that the Spanish tip a lot less often than Brits - probably because service providers are better paid than they are here.

Tamas

Quote from: Gups on January 06, 2023, 08:29:49 AM
Quote from: Tamas on January 05, 2023, 06:15:35 PMIsn't tipping fairly common in Europe with the Brits being the exception? I do tip on takeout orders since there's an easy way to do so via the apps. I do not give cash to delivery drivers, although I do it regularly in Hungary. I just understand it to be un-British.

Really? I thought it was the other way round. Certainly in restaurants in France, tipping is not expected beyond perhaps rounding up (as 15% service is already included in the price by law) whereas 12.5% is routinely added in the UK although usually optional. Similarly my experience in Spain is that the Spanish tip a lot less often than Brits - probably because service providers are better paid than they are here.

My experience is compared to Hungary where you tip excessively - not in terms of % perhaps, but number of occasions. e.g. I was led to believe prior to coming here, that you don't tip in pubs

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Tamas on January 06, 2023, 08:38:33 AM
Quote from: Gups on January 06, 2023, 08:29:49 AM

My experience is compared to Hungary where you tip excessively - not in terms of % perhaps, but number of occasions. e.g. I was led to believe prior to coming here, that you don't tip in pubs

In my experience traveling, which is dated a bit now, tipping was more common in Britain than on the continent--nowhere do as many different types of service providers get tipped as in America. Britain tipping didn't seem rare in the service industry but it was just a nice additional thing, not as integral as it was in America (which in my experience is uniquely enmeshed in tipping culture), on the continent you wouldn't be looked at as a weirdo for tipping but it was often expected less.

On the other end of the extreme Australia has almost an "anti-tipping" culture, there is virtually nowhere that expects tips, and it is such a cultural outlier it would be weird if you even tried. Most of these experiences are pre-2015 or so, and in some cases 10 years older than that, so obviously things could be different now.