News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2023

Started by mongers, January 03, 2023, 10:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

What are your plans, if any for fitness and exercise this year?

How do you aim to put up the inevitable physical decline and collapse? :D

I'm just going to continue cycling with a bit of walk on the side.

Back in September I notice I was within shouting distance of cycling further than the total miles I've driven in my own cars.

All I had to do was cycle 6 miles each and everyday till my next birthday and I'd reach the goal. 

Currently I'm about 70 days ahead of schedule, but as we've entered Winter, there will be a fair few days without pedalling.

If I achieve it I'll then buy myself an electric bike. :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

As usual, I will continue my endless quest to drop below 100Kg. Currently sitting at 104 after all the Christmas eating (which is my best start of the year since 2016 or so). It's not impossible, but these last 4kg have always been a brick wall. The plan is to keep my current levels of strength training but add more cardio, and try to do light cardio during my rest days.

merithyn

I'm at the lowest weight I've been at since I was 23, but I'd still like to lose another 10 pounds. Starting year weight: 145. Hoping for end of year weight: 135.

The issue with my body weight is that I'm working out with pretty heavy vweights, which means my body weight remains the same but my body composition changes. Trying to focus more on body fat rather than weight but that's harder to measure.

Additionally, I'm trying really hard to focus on my diet. Unlike most people, my issue is that I don't eat enough. I should be eating roughly 1500 kcal at least, not including the 500 per workout kcal I spend at the gym three times a week. So while I was losing weight, a lot was muscle. But in general, I struggle to eat more than 1200 kcal on any given day. So more high-cal high-protein foods. Ugh.

I've signed up to do a 10k at the end of April. I know that I can walk it, but I'd like to run it if I can. Only other big goals include fitting into a size 4 pair of jeans and not jiggling when I dance.  :D

ETA I forgot! I can do a full sit up for the first time since having a hysterectomy 22 years ago! Nowhere near a six pack stomach but that's huge for me!
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Crazy_Ivan80

continue the running, try to add some exercising for the upper body, try to lose another few kilos.
Last year wasn't entirely successful, but I did manage to gain another notch on my belt (i.e. the waist got a bit smaller).

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on January 03, 2023, 10:41:04 AMI'm at the lowest weight I've been at since I was 23, but I'd still like to lose another 10 pounds. Starting year weight: 145. Hoping for end of year weight: 135.

The issue with my body weight is that I'm working out with pretty heavy vweights, which means my body weight remains the same but my body composition changes. Trying to focus more on body fat rather than weight but that's harder to measure.

Additionally, I'm trying really hard to focus on my diet. Unlike most people, my issue is that I don't eat enough. I should be eating roughly 1500 kcal at least, not including the 500 per workout kcal I spend at the gym three times a week. So while I was losing weight, a lot was muscle. But in general, I struggle to eat more than 1200 kcal on any given day. So more high-cal high-protein foods. Ugh.

I've signed up to do a 10k at the end of April. I know that I can walk it, but I'd like to run it if I can. Only other big goals include fitting into a size 4 pair of jeans and not jiggling when I dance.  :D

ETA I forgot! I can do a full sit up for the first time since having a hysterectomy 22 years ago! Nowhere near a six pack stomach but that's huge for me!

:cool:

Rather impressive Meri.

Darth Wagtaros

I regained some weight in the last month. I need to lose it. Preferably more afte rthat.
PDH!

Tamas

At 86.5kgs I am heavier than I have ever been since my Great Diet of 2018, and it ain't because of muscle mass either. So I need to reign this in and fast. But I want to focus more on strength and some semblance of fitness instead of just weight loss, as this is likely to be an eventful year.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on January 04, 2023, 04:55:17 AMBut I want to focus more on strength and some semblance of fitness instead of just weight loss, as this is likely to be an eventful year.

Are you planning on having to fight hordes of post-apocalyptic gangs?

Josquius

I'm very much at my heaviest now too. Gained massively in recent months to go over 90.
After the new year craze has died down I will have to finally dare to attent a martial arts class as I've wanted to for years but for various issues.
Also need to get out and walk for a bit every day. Not doing this anymore with wfh and has been the real downside.
Hoping to get back to below 80 as the eternal never reached goal soon.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on January 04, 2023, 04:58:39 AM
Quote from: Tamas on January 04, 2023, 04:55:17 AMBut I want to focus more on strength and some semblance of fitness instead of just weight loss, as this is likely to be an eventful year.

Are you planning on having to fight hordes of post-apocalyptic gangs?

Yes.

Threviel

My swimming continues, three times a week. My weight is not moving much, between 75 and 80 kg, but my volume is slowly going down. I don't really want a lot of muscles so I need to change something. Probably will try to run once a week or something like that. Swimming is fun and it has completely fixed my hurting back, it does me all kinds of good.

mongers

Quote from: Threviel on January 04, 2023, 06:49:56 AMMy swimming continues, three times a week. My weight is not moving much, between 75 and 80 kg, but my volume is slowly going down. I don't really want a lot of muscles so I need to change something. Probably will try to run once a week or something like that. Swimming is fun and it has completely fixed my hurting back, it does me all kinds of good.

Yeah it's one of the very best forms of exercise and as you imply pretty much the least impactful.

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on January 04, 2023, 09:49:57 AM
Quote from: Threviel on January 04, 2023, 06:49:56 AMMy swimming continues, three times a week. My weight is not moving much, between 75 and 80 kg, but my volume is slowly going down. I don't really want a lot of muscles so I need to change something. Probably will try to run once a week or something like that. Swimming is fun and it has completely fixed my hurting back, it does me all kinds of good.

Yeah it's one of the very best forms of exercise and as you imply pretty much the least impactful.

Too bad it involves water.

viper37

Quote from: mongers on January 03, 2023, 10:04:53 AMWhat are your plans, if any for fitness and exercise this year?

How do you aim to put up the inevitable physical decline and collapse? :D
My plans:
recover for chronic asthma and possibly long covid (no official diagnostic but it sure looks like it).

How do I aim to do that: New experimental med for the asthma.  Since I'm a public servant, I am covered by insurance and my insurer covers 80% of the costs of the injections.  Astra Zeneca will cover the other 20% to the insurer. 

So, that's 4 415$/month for the foreseeable future that I do not have to pay out of pocket.  And before somebody tells me "of we'd be great with universal medicare", Quebec does not cover this medication under its public plan.

Next aim: wait 3 months for the injection to cure me for good.  Then the pneumologist will lower my corticoid meds, so maybe the 55lbs I have lost since late summer will really show.  Maybe more than a couple of friends will notice. :mellow: :cry:

Secondary aim: Once I stop coughing and spitting and I can breath normally, I will pick up the bike again and my physiotherapy exercices.

Tertiary aim: Try to do something about my busted knee.  It seemed to be doing well for a time, but since I had to abandon physiotherapy it's come back to haunt me.

Fourth: I'm really hoping that my headaches are due to my coughing and they will go away.  If not, I'll have to try some new medication again because what I have is not working. At all.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on January 04, 2023, 10:15:58 AM
Quote from: mongers on January 04, 2023, 09:49:57 AM

Too bad it involves water.
You're British now, act like it.  The sea is your friend.  You rule the waves, they don't rule you.  :ph34r: :lol:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.