News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Breakfast

Started by Threviel, December 26, 2022, 02:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Most commonly: a latte, toast (or fresh bread if available) with butter and sometimes jam and/ or cheese, an egg, and some apple. The most common alternative is plain full-fat yogurt with fresh fruit (whatever is at hand) and muesli, as well as the latte.

HisMajestyBOB

Oatmeal in whole milk with frozen blueberries, put in the fridge overnight.
French press coffee.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on December 26, 2022, 04:03:49 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 26, 2022, 03:57:20 PMMüsli, eggs, juice, and coffee.
I just thought about anything specifically Austrian for breakfast but could not think of anything. Maybe some coffee variants. Is there anything?  :huh: 

Nothing special, but many places offer a "Viennese Breakfast", i.e. two rolls, butter and jam with a coffee.

Even McDonald's has it as part of its breakfast menu, and at under 3 EUR is one of the better deals out there. But tbh, I don't think it's particularly Viennese except for the name. :D For coffee ... you'd either go with a Verlängerter (i.e. "normal" coffee - its name means "extended", because it's technically an espresso made with twice the amount of water), or a melange (similar to cappuccino).

Other than that ... maybe Ei im Glas (egg in a glass)? Boiled egg with solid white/soft yolk, served in a glass, often with some herbs, or some avocado or bacon or veggies or something.

There's a Gabelfrühstück, which is usually something warm eaten later in the morning (and originally eaten with a fork = Gabel, hence the name, but it can also be a soup), but it's more of a brunch than a breakfast.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

In the weekends, when I have time I usually either do American style pancakes with maple syrup or bake some breakfast rolls of some kind.

I tried baked beans on toast. Surprisingly good. Wife did not think that it should be our Saturday breakfast.

Gups

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 26, 2022, 06:42:57 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 26, 2022, 06:41:34 PMOn Saturdays, I cook full English breakfast for my family.

Are you sure this is what you mean?  Like with the baked beans and that weird looking sausage?

What's the weird looking sausage in the American version of the full English?

The Larch

On workdays I have a coffee with milk, cookies (sometimes exchanged for a croissant or a similar pastry) and a glass of juice.

On weekends or holidays I have a bowl of cereal or oats instead, or maybe just chocolate milk.

The Larch

merithyn

Gym days: protein shake and coffee

Non-gym days: Grapenuts, 2% milk, and coffee

I'm going to try to vary things up, though, since I'm way too low on protein and calories. Single serving overnight French toast casserole, soft boiled egg with toast, etc. And coffee. Always coffee. :mmm:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on December 27, 2022, 05:18:34 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 26, 2022, 09:41:05 PMprotein shake

Didn't have you pegged for a gym rat, V.

45 minutes six days a week. It is all part of my efforts to avoid diabetes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on December 27, 2022, 02:13:36 AM
Quote from: Zanza on December 26, 2022, 04:03:49 PM
Quote from: Syt on December 26, 2022, 03:57:20 PMMüsli, eggs, juice, and coffee.
I just thought about anything specifically Austrian for breakfast but could not think of anything. Maybe some coffee variants. Is there anything?  :huh: 

Nothing special, but many places offer a "Viennese Breakfast", i.e. two rolls, butter and jam with a coffee.

Even McDonald's has it as part of its breakfast menu, and at under 3 EUR is one of the better deals out there. But tbh, I don't think it's particularly Viennese except for the name. :D For coffee ... you'd either go with a Verlängerter (i.e. "normal" coffee - its name means "extended", because it's technically an espresso made with twice the amount of water), or a melange (similar to cappuccino).

Other than that ... maybe Ei im Glas (egg in a glass)? Boiled egg with solid white/soft yolk, served in a glass, often with some herbs, or some avocado or bacon or veggies or something.

There's a Gabelfrühstück, which is usually something warm eaten later in the morning (and originally eaten with a fork = Gabel, hence the name, but it can also be a soup), but it's more of a brunch than a breakfast.
I guess Ei im Glas is special, the rest not so much. It's interesting that Croissants etc. are called "viennoiserie" in French but actually are not that common in Austria. 

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

I've rarely eaten more than once a day since I've gotten covid, so I usually skip breakfeast and lunch.

When I do have breakfast, it's two slice of brown bread, usually toasted, with peanut butter or two small greek yogurt with fruits.  I drink either milk or water, sometimes black coffee, but less often than I did.  Sometimes, it's just two cups of black coffee.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Usually skip it. Sometimes bacon & eggs, maybe a biscuit.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

During the week, usually tea and toast.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

I have gone 180 on breakfast. There was a period of time when I fasted until lunch. But now I am all in on breakfast and especially on the days I work out.  When I get back from the gym I start with frying potato slices in olive oil, then I add onions or shallots; then add mushrooms; and the some leafy green (normally kale or spinach).  Last thing I add to the pan is (and this is not for the feint of heart) sauerkraut.

I put that on a plate and then fry up three eggs, after adding a bit more olive oil to the pan.  Put the eggs over the rest of it on the plate and voila - CC mash.