News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What's your default drink?

Started by Josquius, December 23, 2022, 07:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When offered at someone's house what would you have?

Tea. Black
1 (4.2%)
Tea. Milk.
2 (8.3%)
Tea. Sugar.
0 (0%)
Tea. Milk+ Sugar
0 (0%)
Coffee. Black
11 (45.8%)
Coffee. Milk
3 (12.5%)
Coffee. Sugar
1 (4.2%)
Coffee. Milk + sugar.
3 (12.5%)
Green tea
0 (0%)
Tea. But with something odd.
1 (4.2%)
Coffee. But with something odd.
0 (0%)
In my country a default choice is also _______________
0 (0%)
I refuse to drink something anyone else offers. What if its poison?
1 (4.2%)
geoihjgwioj hbwoibjwipobjkwpojgbpowj wpohjwpojhpowj
1 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Zanza

HVC

I love is the only one upside-down :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on December 23, 2022, 09:16:53 AMSo we get a million iterations of tea but no water/beer/wine options? :bowler:

That said, black coffee for me. Beer when I'm at a friend's.
Alcoholic much? :p
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 23, 2022, 09:37:57 AM
Quote from: HVC on December 23, 2022, 08:42:30 AMJust because they invented it doesn't mean they're good at it. Look at England and all the sports they suck at :P
Chai is delicious too! :o

Quote*edit you sure about the name thing? Chá (corrected) in Portugal but I'm pretty sure it came by sea.
QuoteI think I was a bit simplistic :blush:
This is the map I meant and I think it's basically "cha" = probably overland and from the Mandarin; "te" = probably by sea and from the Fujianese dialect.

QuoteThe Portuguese get it first from India (spread by land) and the Dutch get it first from Sri Lanka, South-East Asia and Fujian where it's a variation on te. The Dutch then spread it to the rest of Europe:

Disagree with this part. The Portuguese got it through Cantonese in Southern China cf. chá vs tea.
Wiki also disagrees, for what it's worth
QuoteTea was first introduced to Western priests and merchants in China during the 16th century, at which time it was termed chá.[13]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea#Worldwide_spread

As for the Dutch spreading it to Europe, D. Catarina of Bragança had her part in Great Britain:

QuoteINFLUENCE OF A PORTUGUESE PRINCESS
In the contemporary era tea is so much associated with the British way of life that it can come as a surprise to learn that it owes much of its popularity here to a foreign princess. While it is not true to say that Catherine of Braganza, the queen-consort of Charles II of England, actually introduced tea to Britain, she certainly had much to do with it becoming a fashionable and widely drunk beverage.

https://www.tea.co.uk/catherine-of-braganza[/quote]

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sophie Scholl

A glass of water? I don't drink coffee or tea.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Rex Francorum

Cola. I don't drink coffee and tea.
To rent

Syt

Coffee, black, for breakfast and after lunch.

Otherwise water.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 23, 2022, 09:37:57 AM
Quote from: HVC on December 23, 2022, 08:42:30 AMJust because they invented it doesn't mean they're good at it. Look at England and all the sports they suck at :P
Chai is delicious too! :o

Quote*edit you sure about the name thing? Chai in portugal but I'm pretty sure it came by sea.
I think I was a bit simplistic :blush:

This is the map I meant and I think it's basically "cha" = probably overland and from the Mandarin; "te" = probably by sea and from the Fujianese dialect.

The Portuguese get it first from India (spread by land) and the Dutch get it first from Sri Lanka, South-East Asia and Fujian where it's a variation on te. The Dutch then spread it to the rest of Europe:

My understanding of the tea/Chai difference is that it depended from which part of China the traders sourced it.

Richard Hakluyt

It is archaic but "char" was certainly used by British people as an alternative to "tea"; I still use it on occasion though I'm not sure people under 40yo would know what I was talking about.

My main drink is black tea.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 26, 2022, 07:07:55 AMIt is archaic but "char" was certainly used by British people as an alternative to "tea"; I still use it on occasion though I'm not sure people under 40yo would know what I was talking about.
Yeah although I think that's an imperial hangover from India :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 26, 2022, 07:18:26 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 26, 2022, 07:07:55 AMIt is archaic but "char" was certainly used by British people as an alternative to "tea"; I still use it on occasion though I'm not sure people under 40yo would know what I was talking about.

Isnt it a Cockney thing to call tea chai?
██████
██████
██████

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on December 26, 2022, 08:15:14 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 26, 2022, 07:18:26 AM

Isnt it a Cockney thing to call tea chai?

Not that I know of. Rhyming slang is Rosie Lee but nobody says that either.

mongers

Quote from: Gups on December 26, 2022, 08:25:29 AMNot that I know of. Rhyming slang is Rosie Lee but nobody says that either.

Yes, I don't ever remember hearing anyone use either, maybe in film/tv for an authentic flavour of the time it's set in. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"