News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2022 Midterm Election MEGATHREAD

Started by Admiral Yi, November 05, 2022, 07:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

It still does, it's just called "crypto" now.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on January 25, 2023, 09:11:51 AMIt still does, it's just called "crypto" now.

You're the kind of person who right-clicks NFTs. :angry:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2023, 01:02:18 PMIt's highly unlikely Santos is expelled from Congress.  Since the Civil War, only two members have ever been expelled, most recently Jim Trafficant in 2002.
We'll see.  He's an extraordinarily disturbed individual, and the more that comes out about him, the harder it is to believe he won't be arrested for fraud sooner rather than later.  He seems to have been involved in defrauding investors via some Ponzi scheme he worked for as Otto mentioned.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

Quote from: Caliga on February 01, 2023, 10:52:08 AMWe'll see.  He's an extraordinarily disturbed individual, and the more that comes out about him, the harder it is to believe he won't be arrested for fraud sooner rather than later.  He seems to have been involved in defrauding investors via some Ponzi scheme he worked for as Otto mentioned.

And how does any of this disqualify him from the New Republican Stance?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on February 01, 2023, 10:52:08 AM
Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2023, 01:02:18 PMIt's highly unlikely Santos is expelled from Congress.  Since the Civil War, only two members have ever been expelled, most recently Jim Trafficant in 2002.
We'll see.  He's an extraordinarily disturbed individual, and the more that comes out about him, the harder it is to believe he won't be arrested for fraud sooner rather than later.  He seems to have been involved in defrauding investors via some Ponzi scheme he worked for as Otto mentioned.

I'm going to repeat in full what I said:

Quotehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expulsion_from_the_United_States_Congress

It's highly unlikely Santos is expelled from Congress.  Since the Civil War, only two members have ever been expelled, most recently Jim Trafficant in 2002.

The thing is that in a 5-vote majority the GOP needs his votes.  Now under the rules that the GOP voted in (note: it's really fucking bizarre they have new rules for each congress) you have to physically be present in order to vote, so if Santos is actually convicted and imprisoned within the next 24 months maybe he gets expelled, but for the GOP even if Santos can't vote because he's in prison is better then that seat going to the Dems.

The GOP will distance themselves from Santos (as if he voluntarily agreed to drop his committee assignments), but they need his vote.  Short of Santos actually going to jail (which was what was happening to Trafficant) he's not going to be expelled.  Even if he's arrested they'll keep him.  And I'm not even convinced that Santos going to jail means he gets expelled.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2023, 12:02:39 PMThe GOP will distance themselves from Santos (as if he voluntarily agreed to drop his committee assignments), but they need his vote.  Short of Santos actually going to jail (which was what was happening to Trafficant) he's not going to be expelled.  Even if he's arrested they'll keep him.  And I'm not even convinced that Santos going to jail means he gets expelled.
I think they would if he goes to jail. I mean he won't be able to vote any more and it'll give them a (minor) bit of cover that they did something.
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2023, 12:02:39 PMI'm going to repeat in full what I said:
...and I'm saying that he goes to jail, not that the GOP voluntarily expels him.  Of course they won't do that.

Sorry if it wasn't clear what I was arguing.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 01, 2023, 12:24:50 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2023, 12:02:39 PMThe GOP will distance themselves from Santos (as if he voluntarily agreed to drop his committee assignments), but they need his vote.  Short of Santos actually going to jail (which was what was happening to Trafficant) he's not going to be expelled.  Even if he's arrested they'll keep him.  And I'm not even convinced that Santos going to jail means he gets expelled.
I think they would if he goes to jail. I mean he won't be able to vote any more and it'll give them a (minor) bit of cover that they did something.

If he goes to jail, he can no longer vote, so that's one off their 5 vote margin. (-1 GOP)

If he's kicked out, the Dems would be the odds on favourite to take the seat in a special election.  That would be 2 votes off their margin. (-1 GOP, +1 Dem)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

For the pure joy of piling on, have any great people come from Florida?  Semi serious question.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

What point is being made here?  Florida makes shit grenades?

Richard Hakluyt

Looks like Cory Mills is another of these small dick energy fellows  :hmm: