News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2022 Midterm Election MEGATHREAD

Started by Admiral Yi, November 05, 2022, 07:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

He truly is the most interesting man in politics :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

You aren't allowed to be a drag performer in the Republican Party? But what about the freedom caucus?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

The party of con men, snake handlers, Klansmen, and gun nuts.  With considerable overlap.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on January 18, 2023, 07:35:21 PMHe truly is the most interesting man in politics :D
It's extraordinary - also that he appears to have worked for several years for a literal ponzi scheme. I can't quite keep track because everything is incredible.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 18, 2023, 07:53:58 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 18, 2023, 07:35:21 PMHe truly is the most interesting man in politics :D
It's extraordinary - also that he appears to have worked for several years for a literal ponzi scheme. I can't quite keep track because everything is incredible.

It's making one of the more interesting wiki pages out there; it's literally a self-writing film script, a sequel to 'Catch Me If You Can' for the social media driven new world we now inhabit.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Oexmelin

Either that, or it's looking increasingly closer to Dr Evil's description of his totally normal upbringing.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Sheilbh

He's winning me over - just amazing work :lol:
Quotebryan metzger
@metzgov
A clearly exasperated George Santos got hounded by reporters this evening at LaGuardia in NYC.

"I was not a drag queen in Brazil," he says. "I was young and I had fun at a festival. Sue me for having a life!"

"This isn't how you conduct an interview."
Let's bomb Russia!

OttoVonBismarck

It's looking like Santos was involved in personally lying to investors to fund the ponzi scheme--he wasn't the head of the ponzi operation, but the fact he's now a sitting Congressman makes me think DOJ will probably be unwilling to deal lightly with him as their criminal probe into it progresses.

Admiral Yi

Even money this turd never does time and doesn't lose his seat.

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 18, 2023, 07:24:36 PMDon't worry, it just came out that he was a drag performer when he was young in Brazil, so they'll probably kick him out over that. It's not what they should kick him out for, but he'll be out.
Nope, because 'FAKE LIBERAL NEWS".  The GOP has done a great job of convincing their base that every single negative thing they hear about a Republican has to be fake propaganda.

I don't agree with Yi... I can't imagine he'll survive the year in Congress... but he won't be kicked out for performing in drag, because that's not a crime, unlike the other stuff this lunatic has done that will land him behind bars.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on January 23, 2023, 12:49:09 PMI don't agree with Yi... I can't imagine he'll survive the year in Congress... but he won't be kicked out for performing in drag, because that's not a crime, unlike the other stuff this lunatic has done that will land him behind bars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expulsion_from_the_United_States_Congress

It's highly unlikely Santos is expelled from Congress.  Since the Civil War, only two members have ever been expelled, most recently Jim Trafficant in 2002.

The thing is that in a 5-vote majority the GOP needs his votes.  Now under the rules that the GOP voted in (note: it's really fucking bizarre they have new rules for each congress) you have to physically be present in order to vote, so if Santos is actually convicted and imprisoned within the next 24 months maybe he gets expelled, but for the GOP even if Santos can't vote because he's in prison is better then that seat going to the Dems.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 22, 2023, 03:33:07 AMEven money this turd never does time and doesn't lose his seat.

Would need to know more details about the ponzi scheme. If he's done open/shut financial fraud he's going to prison, DOJ doesn't really lose cases like that. Particularly because he is not a sophisticated operator in that space, i.e. he isn't a Trump or Steven A. Cohen type who built a framework that shields them from personal criminal culpability in their fraudulent activities.

Darth Wagtaros

Santos has the makings of a fine senator.  Don't listen to the MSM's lies.  Leftists are always manufacturing nonesense about patriots like him.
PDH!

Sheilbh

More to the Santos story:
QuoteRoger Sollenberger
@SollenbergerRC
SCOOP: George Santos just told the FEC that hundreds of thousands of dollars in "personal" campaign loans were not, in fact, from his personal funds. Of course, he didn't say where those funds came from. Me @thedailybeast
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Say it ain't so.

I guess the ponzi scheme business doesn't pay like it used to.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson