News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2022 Midterm Election MEGATHREAD

Started by Admiral Yi, November 05, 2022, 07:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2022, 02:33:53 PMNo doubt. That is just the kind of engagement I am interested in. The party activism and politicking is more your speed. I want good ideas in government that serve the community, not having big fights over imaginary pedophile rings and secret Antifa cells.

On the other hand imaginary pedophile rings and secret Antifa cells (and leftwing equivalent fear mongering) make great politics and get people to vote and care about stuff. So me going around demanding people stop with bullshit and be reasonable might hurt in political activism.
But the way politics is done in democracies is in response to voters (through campaigns) and parties. I don't really see how you get good ideas in government, in a democracy, in a way that doesn't involve either activism or the parties?

At least unless you're an admirably virtuous billionaire :P

Edit: Also the flaw is in one of your parties which suggests that's the battlefield.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 08, 2022, 02:41:44 PMBut the way politics is done in democracies is in response to voters (through campaigns) and parties. I don't really see how you get good ideas in government, in a democracy, in a way that doesn't involve either activism or the parties?

Edit: Also the flaw is in one of your parties which suggests that's the battlefield.

Well my experience in government is that nobody really follows or cares what actually happens in the council rooms. The local media is mostly dead around the country. The local officials are very sensitive to just whatever vibe is going on in the room at the time. If you are there to influence it, it doesn't matter at all really what the voters demanded in the election...to the extent they demanded anything.

The fear mongering gets them to go out there and vote. Not much else.

And yeah obviously the other way to influence the process, and a much more effective way, is just to be a huge stakeholder. But since I am not well...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 08, 2022, 02:41:44 PMBut the way politics is done in democracies is in response to voters (through campaigns) and parties. I don't really see how you get good ideas in government, in a democracy, in a way that doesn't involve either activism or the parties?

Think tanks and op eds.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2022, 03:35:25 PMThink tanks and op eds.
I'd file think tanks under the admirable billionaire :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 08, 2022, 03:42:38 PMI'd file think tanks under the admirable billionaire :P

Oh, I didn't know we were doing class warfare in this thread too.

I challenge you to name one good idea that has come from the grass roots, the plebs, the groundlings, teh people.  The masses don't do good ideas, they do mantras, causes, slogans.

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2022, 04:27:36 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 08, 2022, 03:42:38 PMI'd file think tanks under the admirable billionaire :P

I challenge you to name one good idea that has come from the grass roots, the plebs, the groundlings, teh people.  The masses don't do good ideas, they do mantras, causes, slogans.
Defund the police! 

That was a great idea!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Prohibition. :P
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

Abolitionism.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2022, 04:27:36 PMOh, I didn't know we were doing class warfare in this thread too.
I mean I'm not the one saying democracy's a charade for the plebs and that what really matters is basically the elite level of politics in think tanks and newspapers :P

But yeah I think the funding networks behind think tanks/the elite thought level of politics is very important. It is also disproportionately - like all philanthropy - populated by the very rich or their legacies. I think it's telling that stating that fact is somehow class warfare.

I don't even think there's any judgement in it - as I say these are the admirable, virtuous billionaires. Like all philanthropy there's some extraordinary, in this case, intellectual legacies and tributes because of that wealth.

QuoteI challenge you to name one good idea that has come from the grass roots, the plebs, the groundlings, teh people.  The masses don't do good ideas, they do mantras, causes, slogans.
So that's not quite what I'm saying, my point is the way we do politics in a democracy is through parties and activists. We can be snooty about them but they're doing a fuckton more to save American democracy than most people, if for no other reason than that they're it's bloodstream.

But for good ideas from activists - expanding the franchise, abolitionism, paid politicians so it's not a hobby for the already rich, civil rights, gay rights, paid annual leave, limits on working hours, labour rights. More or less anything on either side - the ideas aren't necessarily good but they don't happen without that engagement by everyday, normal people. I don't think Roe v Wade gets overturned without activists and people getting involved and changing their party. These were not gifts or curses bestowed by highly educated think tankers and op-ed writers.

It's also a way to engage civically, be involved in the political process without requiring you to change career and become a think tanker somehow :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

There was an enormous line today at my polling place; especially considering that the polls show the up-ticket races aren't even close (and, in my deeply red district, the down ticket ones are foregone conclusions.) 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2022, 02:52:47 PMWell my experience in government is that nobody really follows or cares what actually happens in the council rooms. The local media is mostly dead around the country. The local officials are very sensitive to just whatever vibe is going on in the room at the time. If you are there to influence it, it doesn't matter at all really what the voters demanded in the election...to the extent they demanded anything.

The fear mongering gets them to go out there and vote. Not much else.

And yeah obviously the other way to influence the process, and a much more effective way, is just to be a huge stakeholder. But since I am not well...

I've been on the wrong side of many, many zoning boards and city councils.  I don't blame anyone for not wanting to get involved in that; but, given your profession, there must be power advisory boards that you could be involved with (if you want to be part of The ProcessTM)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Larch

Just read that Pelosi is seriously considering retirement after the mid terms.

DGuller

This has been the most stealthy election I remember personally.  I live in Jersey City and work in Manhattan, and between those two places, I would have had no idea that today was an election day, or for the last month I would have no idea that election day was coming. 

Considering that NY could actually get a Republican governor, I find that bewildering.  Maybe I've done too good of a job disconnecting myself from the social media craziness, but surely somebody should've been accosting me near the subway entrance or exit? :unsure:

DGuller

Quote from: The Larch on November 08, 2022, 05:18:09 PMJust read that Pelosi is seriously considering retirement after the mid terms.
I think it would be a shame, but it has to happen sometime.  On the one hand, Democrats need politicians who know how power works, but on the other hand they need someone who was born after WWI ended.