News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2022 Midterm Election MEGATHREAD

Started by Admiral Yi, November 05, 2022, 07:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 27, 2022, 02:59:49 PMThis requires a sense of shame. A quality our political class as discarded rather abruptly in recent years.
Or public opinion that responds to scandals which is also absent.

I could be wrong but my theory has always been that it's not about the virtue of politicians with a sense of shame, but responding to public opprobrium that drives resignations.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 27, 2022, 02:04:33 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 27, 2022, 01:50:18 PMIt's so absurdly shameless though. "I didn't say I was jewish, I said that I was jew-ish" is the kind of thing I'd expect in a scene from The Office, not real life  :lol:
I saw someone on Twitter say this may be the closest we get to if George Costanza was elected :lol:

QuoteIn Spain the most famous case I can think of is Luís Roldán, appointed general director of the Civil Guard in the 1990s with an entirely fabricated resumé - claimed to be an engineer and economist, with master degrees and shit (he never finished high school). Predictably, the dude stole hand over first and fled the country.
Not political but on fabricated lives I read that Javier Cercas novel about Enric Marco which was extraordinary - both the novel and just the story. And an interesting read of what is behind this sort of thing.

Never read it (I like Cercas' books a lot though, he has a knack for novelizing contemporary Spanish events/people). Does it touch upon Marco's time as head of CNT? IIRC that was also intertwined within a web of imposture. Quite the character.

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 27, 2022, 03:03:43 PMOr public opinion that responds to scandals which is also absent.

I could be wrong but my theory has always been that it's not about the virtue of politicians with a sense of shame, but responding to public opprobrium that drives resignations.

Agreed.

One of the key requirements to counter corruption - of whatever kind - is public outrage. And one of the fundamental enabling mechanisms of corruption is public sentiment that accepts, excuses, or otherwise normalizes it.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 27, 2022, 03:03:43 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on December 27, 2022, 02:59:49 PMThis requires a sense of shame. A quality our political class as discarded rather abruptly in recent years.
Or public opinion that responds to scandals which is also absent.

I don't disagree.  It's a symbiotic relationship.

Much as in the same way that I think term limits are illogical (essentially an admission and surrender that an electorate cannot control itself)...but then the electorate will keep reelecting outmoded fossils, showing that any outrage/frustration against entrenched career politicians presents itself too much with apathy.

Admiral Yi

There are some parallels with Elizabeth Warren claiming Indian descent.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 27, 2022, 03:40:59 PMThere are some parallels with Elizabeth Warren claiming Indian descent.

I think Santos created a much broader fake identity
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on December 27, 2022, 03:43:34 PMI think Santos created a much broader fake identity

Surely.  He dialed it up to 11.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on December 27, 2022, 01:54:23 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 27, 2022, 01:48:17 PMYeah. A non-Jew pretending to be a Jew to win on Long Island and the Democrats let him get away with it in a very tight national House election. Well played Mr. Santos.

One side acts unethically and the blame gets placed with the other side for not catching them, and congratulations are extended to the unethical actor rather than censure.

Sometimes the US seems very foreign to me, in spite of everything.

There is no mechanism to censure beyond not voting for him in the next election. So maybe he will pay dearly in 2024. I don't know.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

His gamble is probably that most people will forget over two years...his opponent might remind them when that time comes...but it will also be a Presidential election year, and if enough down-ballot voters are more "MAH GOP Majorituh!" then "my Rep is a fraud", it won't matter.

grumbler

I think that Santos will be in a lot of trouble over his financial disclosure statements, plus the fact that he didn't live in the Congressional district in which he ran.

He'll take his seat because Kevin McCarthy will suck even the most vile cock in order to become speaker, but after that, we'll see.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

:lol: You have to wonder why his opponents or the press did not point this out earlier. Or did they and voters did not care?

Syt

Maybe his mom was one of those who inhaled a whole bunch of debris dust on 9/11 and later died of cancer? :hmm:

( j/k :P )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Sheilbh

That's incredible. I scrolled past earlier and just assumed they were years apart, not five months :lol:

It is also the sort of thing that you feel opposition research should pick up.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I would be interested in the reactions of the people who voted for him.  They might not care.