News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2022 Midterm Election MEGATHREAD

Started by Admiral Yi, November 05, 2022, 07:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 12, 2022, 09:48:03 PMNevada Senate seat just called for the Dems. They will retain control of the Senate, regardless of what happens in Georgia.

Mitch is sad  :nelson:

:cool:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

GOP lead in the House 211-202 now. Going to be close.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Now would be a wonderful time for many Supreme Court Justices to die unexpectedly.

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 12, 2022, 09:48:03 PMNevada Senate seat just called for the Dems. They will retain control of the Senate, regardless of what happens in Georgia.

We still really need that seat in Georgia.

And with Manchin coming up for re-election in 2024 we need to give him cover to help him win. No matter how much he sucks he is better than whomever his opponent will be.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2022, 11:37:03 PMNow would be a wonderful time for many Supreme Court Justices to die unexpectedly.

Yeah. Still wild Trump got three in just four years...though yes the Republicans cheated on one of them.

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on November 12, 2022, 11:51:00 PM

We still really need that seat in Georgia.

And with Manchin coming up for re-election in 2024 we need to give him cover to help him win. No matter how much he sucks he is better than whomever his opponent will be.

I'm working out which ballot boxes to mule the votes to as I type.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Good man  :P

3rd district of Washington called for Dems.

211-203 now.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2022, 11:37:03 PMNow would be a wonderful time for many Supreme Court Justices to die unexpectedly.

I'd be 100% fine with people killing some of them.

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 13, 2022, 01:24:14 AM

I'd be 100% fine with people killing some of them.

Two points:

1.  That's a terrible thing to say!
2. From your mouth outbox to God's ear inbox.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on November 11, 2022, 09:17:45 AMZoupa and Berkut, you guys will be much happier in 2025 when Manchin is out of the Senate and you really never have to hear of him, and the seat is held by some random republican that just votes his party line.

Yeah. A huge reason we want 51 is to give Manchin the cover to oppose Joe Biden on enough things to get re-elected.

We desperately need him and all the other remaining red state Democrats.

Tonitrus

It also frees Kamala Harris from having to hang around DC as much.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on November 13, 2022, 03:01:09 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 11, 2022, 09:17:45 AMZoupa and Berkut, you guys will be much happier in 2025 when Manchin is out of the Senate and you really never have to hear of him, and the seat is held by some random republican that just votes his party line.

Yeah. A huge reason we want 51 is to give Manchin the cover to oppose Joe Biden on enough things to get re-elected.

It also means we don't need to have the committees have equal members, which can cause lots of delays if someone wants to slow things down
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 13, 2022, 03:01:09 PM

There are senate democrats up for reelection in places like Montana and Ohio that also need cover. i think it is probably too late to save manchin though.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

The reality is that 51 doesn't give the Democrats opportunity to do much, with the House in GOP hands.

The main benefit is blocking GOP control of the Senate with a cushion if someone has to retire or passes away.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 14, 2022, 12:06:12 PMThe reality is that 51 doesn't give the Democrats opportunity to do much, with the House in GOP hands.
Presumably judges and speeding up any remaining appointments?
Let's bomb Russia!