News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2022 Midterm Election MEGATHREAD

Started by Admiral Yi, November 05, 2022, 07:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2022, 11:18:27 PMDo you get stoned Raz?
Nope.  Never.  Raz is a square.  Besides it probably would mess with my meds.  Still, too many people have been hand their lives fucked up my that stupid law.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

OttoVonBismarck

While it is far too early to call control, results this far suggest red wave simply isn't in the cards. GOP are slightly favored to take House and Senate is toss up—I would wager they win both, but it's very close. Will be a lot of analysis to be done.

It appears GOP have significantly underperformed both their polling and the midterm conventional norms.

I am incidentally down $3000 as I am doing some election gambling and had backed a lot of R.

OttoVonBismarck

Oz has basically lost PA.

CBS PA exit poll has 36% of voters said abortion was their most important issue—largest issue in the State. Inflation was second at 28%. That almost certainly has cost Oz the election.

Admiral Yi

frunk

I think this calls for some Nyango Star:

Habbaku

Quote from: Jacob on November 08, 2022, 11:29:52 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2022, 10:43:39 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 08, 2022, 10:24:20 PMI think Sheilbh's point is that democracy without angry slogans is a nice ideal, but not something that happens in actual reality.

Except he didn't say a nice ideal, he said without them you have dictatorship.

I believed he clarified with: "yeah and the immaculate conception is still a pregnancy. I just wouldn't use it to set expectations."

The Immaculate Conception refers to Mary, not Jesus.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

QuoteA short while ago, Kari Lake, the Republican candidate for governor in Arizona, spoke to supporters. Lake is currently behind Democratic candidate and Arizona Secretary of State Katie Hobbs — with 52 percent of the expected votes reporting, Hobbs leads 57 percent to Lake's 43 percent.

This is cool.  From 538.  Time stamped 12:39.

Solmyr

Lots of election results denial incoming?

Syt

Looks like Abbott and De Santis retain the governor posts in TX and FL. Though Arizona looks like it might flip? (Which the Rpublicans will of course fight tooth and nail if it were to happen.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Heh, results are better than expected. Looks like there's a decent chance of holding the senate, even.

Maladict

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

So, it wasn't quite the red wave as expected? Just a red trickle? Or not even that?

I'm reading that the trumpier candidates didn't do as well as expected and the Republicans that did well were the ones that set their own path. Do the Republicans have a Trump problem now?

I'm also seeing that Lauren Boebert might loose her House seat, so at least's that's a win for all parts.

Admiral Yi

The Larch

Also apparently Trump is threatening De Sanctis with releasing negative info about him if he runs against him for the GOP nomination in 2024.  :lol: