And we're back!

Main Menu

Most Emotional Movie or TV Scene

Started by Admiral Yi, October 15, 2022, 10:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Prompted by the Futurama discussion.

No way to do this without spoilers.

I vote for the scene in Sophie's Choice when she has to choose between her son and her daughter.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on October 15, 2022, 01:28:11 PMOpening scenes from Up.

When Miguel sings with his mom in Coco.
When Andy donates his toys and they see him leave in Toy Story 3.
When the imaginary friend sacrifices himself in Inside Out and is forgotten.

Fucking Pixar  :lol:

(that Up scene is probably an all-timer though)

Zanza

The girl in the red jacket in Schindler's List.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on October 15, 2022, 03:59:45 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 15, 2022, 01:28:11 PMOpening scenes from Up.

When Miguel sings with his mom in Coco.
When Andy donates his toys and they see him leave in Toy Story 3.
When the imaginary friend sacrifices himself in Inside Out and is forgotten.

Fucking Pixar  :lol:

(that Up scene is probably an all-timer though)

Yup - Pixar knows how to be emotionally manipulative.

I feel like I was /thread with my answer though - nothing is as devastating as the scene from Up.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

My mother would say "Sophie's choice" for sure. She hasn't been able to watch another movie that even tangentially deals with the Holocaust since then.

Grey Fox

Any scenes that deal with the realization that adulthood is beginning and the endless dreams of the young are no longer possible for the characters.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Admiral Yi

Just rewatched the soap beatdown scene in Full Metal Jacket.  That scene is pretty intense.

grumbler

I thought that the Broken Arrow scene in We Were Soldiers... was pretty emotional, especially when they blended it into the actual photos Galloway took that day.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

Related, but myself I find it very difficult to feel emotion for stuff that happens onscreen - I'm just too aware a movie is a creation, it's not "real". I get intellectual enjoyment and entertainment (which I guess are emotions too), but the kind of empathic "emotion" for what the characters are experiencing, which is probably what we're talking about here, has always been difficult.
The exception is when it's something that directly speaks to my own experience or fears (that is why the opening of Up! is so damn effective for me).
It also works with real stories, or stories set around real events (like movies depicting the Holocaust).

How does that work for you?