And we're back!

Main Menu

Dream Jobs

Started by Savonarola, October 13, 2022, 04:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

I saw this article in the BBC:

The workers leaving their dream jobs

I'm curious if anyone had a cool job that they left (or has a cool job); and if their experience was like the one in the article.  I'm also curious if anyone does have a "Dream job."

I haven't had a cool job (although radio engineer for the railroad has been a lot of fun, I don't think that quite counts a "Cool".)  I don't have a dream job; I have a lot of hobbies, but I wouldn't want to do any of them professionally.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Grey Fox

I worked in the game industry for a hot minute. I learned that working in that industry was not for me and in time would make me hate games.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Not really a stereotypical "dream job", but I really wanted to be a bigshot corporate lawyer.

I got a job at that kind of firm, realized that not only was the work incredibly long hours to start, but that you'd work incredibly long hours for the rest of your career.  And that just because a business deal might be worth nine-figures, it really wasn't sexy to be the lawyers papering the deal.

So now I work for the government.  Very fair salary but if I stayed with the big-firm corporate law (no guarantee there) I'd be making more, but I work much closer to 8-4 hours.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 13, 2022, 04:13:10 PMI worked in the game industry for a hot minute. I learned that working in that industry was not for me and in time would make me hate games.

I've come close to it but so much of what I have heard and the low salaries have put me off.
And yes. Coming to hate games is a concern
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

I've had what I consider cool jobs, but dream job is a kind of alien concept to me. I don't know what my dream job would look like.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

I did some amateur beta-test for a couple MMORPGs. Was eventually offered a position in one of the companies. But, much like GF said, the experience made me realize working in gaming would probably be a bad idea.

I do love some parts of my job (mostly theory-crafting solutions to technical problems). But even the fun bits can be frustrating in the right (wrong) circumstances.
And it's not like it has to be engineering either. I would probably enjoy many other fields that allowed me to learn cool stuff and develop new ideas.

Tamas

Yeah gaming industry as well. I still miss the people I worked with, and I didn't mind working there specifically, but I was worried getting stuck in the industry because of what I have seen of it I have had zero desire to work elsewhere in it.

But also yes, it does feel like I have gotten my gsmokg hobby back by leaving. Its not like I played less but the boundaries between work and fun blurred and it was kind of weird.

My current job is better paid, if anything is more stressful, plus often soul crushing like all corporste gigs.

But, having zero passiob for it also means it is much easier to keep an emotional distance from it, and compartelise it away from tbe rest of my life.

mongers

Probably as a geologist prospecting for oil and gas in remote places across the world; don't know why I didn't do a degree etc in it, as I loved geology.

That or being an astronaut. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

When I left the Navy, I had a cool job running wargames for the Navy.  That got a lot less fun when the Cold War ended and modeling shifted from smiting the forces of tyranny and aggression wherever they raised their heads above the sea to supporting a bunch of programmatic pleading.  So I got another degree and switched careers.

It was cool, though.  There was more to black programs back then than just keeping Congress from finding out how bad the cost overruns are.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on October 13, 2022, 04:09:12 PMI saw this article in the BBC:

The workers leaving their dream jobs

I'm curious if anyone had a cool job that they left (or has a cool job); and if their experience was like the one in the article.  I'm also curious if anyone does have a "Dream job."
My dad always thought I should seek a job in the public sector like my uncles.  I have one.  I discovered that I hate it.  Bureaucracy ain't for me.  I've been searching for something else for a little while now.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on October 13, 2022, 05:36:14 PMWhen I left the Navy, I had a cool job running wargames for the Navy.  That got a lot less fun when the Cold War ended and modeling shifted from smiting the forces of tyranny and aggression wherever they raised their heads above the sea to supporting a bunch of programmatic pleading.  So I got another degree and switched careers.

It was cool, though.  There was more to black programs back then than just keeping Congress from finding out how bad the cost overruns are.

That is very cool!

Maybe there is a chance that job might open up again (China and Russia)  :hmm:

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on October 13, 2022, 05:14:43 PMBut, having zero passiob for it also means it is much easier to keep an emotional distance from it, and compartelise it away from tbe rest of my life.

I've definitely come to value this. Especially when you're getting older and shit happens in your private life more often. When I walk out of the office the job doesn't exist anymore until I walk back in.

It's important to not hate your job and resent having to go there in the morning. But I can't even fake being passionate about it either.

A dream 'job' would be winning the lottery and setting up a foundation to fund cool research projects. As I'm not participating in lotteries this seems a rather remote possibility.

The Larch

I think I saw some Youtube videos on the Navy's wargaming department, it looked absurdly cool. I'll look them up to share them here.  :)

Edit: Here they are!