Ask the court to be excused and go on vacation regardless of the answer
3 (18.8%)
Ask the court  to be excused and then comply if they say to serve
8 (50%)
Cancel vacation and show up to jury service
5 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on October 06, 2022, 02:14:45 PMI am prohibited by law from serving on a jury in Alberta. :(
Do they send jury summons only to people living within X km of the tribunal?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

So do you need a job or pay taxes to get a jury summons because I never got one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on October 06, 2022, 07:48:21 PMSo do you need a job or pay taxes to get a jury summons because I never got one.

To qualify for jury duty you must:

be a United States citizen;

be at least 18 years of age;

reside primarily in the judicial district for one year;

be adequately proficient in English to satisfactorily complete the juror qualification form;

have no disqualifying mental or physical condition;

not currently be subject to felony charges punishable by imprisonment for more than one year;

never have been convicted of a felony (unless civil rights have been legally restored);

not be a member of the armed forces on active duty;

not be a member of professional fire and police departments; and

not be a "public officers" of federal, state or local governments, who are actively engaged full-time in the performance of public duties.

So maybe you have just been lucky :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I thought they grabbed prospective jurors off the voter rolls.

You are registered to vote are you not Raz?

Grey Fox

I would acknowledge the summon only after returning from vacation. Especially if it was sent at the wrong address.

But I have never been summoned and haven't left Quebec in a decade.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on October 06, 2022, 07:57:06 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 06, 2022, 07:48:21 PMSo do you need a job or pay taxes to get a jury summons because I never got one.

not be a member of the armed forces on active duty;

Well, THAT is not true...I've had many colleagues get called for jury duty.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 06, 2022, 08:08:18 PMI thought they grabbed prospective jurors off the voter rolls.

You are registered to vote are you not Raz?
Yes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Gups

Quote from: Barrister on October 06, 2022, 07:29:51 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 06, 2022, 03:09:17 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 06, 2022, 02:14:45 PMI am prohibited by law from serving on a jury in Alberta. :(

What did you do? :o

I've been called 6 times. First three I culdn't serve because I was a lawyer. Then they changed the rules and I served on the 4th call up. Then got out of it because you don't have to do it twice in a year. Then served again (and was foreman).

I am a lawyer. :weep:

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

This thread is an absolute disaster when it comes to using quote-codes properly.

PDH

Quote from: Tamas on October 07, 2022, 09:57:42 AMThis thread is an absolute disaster when it comes to using quote-codes properly.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Jacob