Ask the court to be excused and go on vacation regardless of the answer
3 (18.8%)
Ask the court  to be excused and then comply if they say to serve
8 (50%)
Cancel vacation and show up to jury service
5 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

alfred russel

So a fairly dumb conundrum...i recently went on vacation out of state. Right before we left, i got a jury summons. Because they sent the summons to the wrong address, the summons was for the next week while we were on vacation.

My approach was to ignore it and I sent them an email the day after jury service that they sent the notice to the wrong address, I got it on a delayed timeline, and that i was out of state. They said i was excused but i should show up next time.

I told this to someone who told me i was out of line and i was lucky not to get a night in jail. I'd honestly trade a night in jail for a week's vacation (even though they couldn't arrest me because i was out of state), but the question to the group is what you would do? I've heard of this court forcing people to serve on juries even though they have out of state vacations planned.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

The Brain

Too hypothetical to answer for me. I'd have to know what my local laws would say about jury service and what my local jury service culture would be.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

The general rule around here is that you get one "can't because work" card that you can play, but only the one.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

One thing for sure is I would not compound the problem by telling the authorities that when I received the summons I was out of state, when in fact I was in state when I received it.  Someone might think that was a dishonest act which deserved a sanction of some sort.

Here the prudent legal advice is to call the court Sheriff, explain your circumstances, and ask if you can be moved to another jury pool.  Most of the time they will l do that, but similar to what Grumbler says happens in his jurisdiction, it's probably only the first time that gets the sympathetic ear.

Josquius

Show up and claim to be a massive racist so you get dismissed?
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

I'd ask for the service to be deferred. I have no idea whether they would be amenable to that but lying to court officials is not really on.

HisMajestyBOB

I've been called three times. Twice I was living abroad so I got out automatically once I told them. The third time my group didn't need to report.

Which sucks because I'd actually like to serve at least once. :(
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

alfred russel

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 06, 2022, 12:12:03 PMI'd ask for the service to be deferred. I have no idea whether they would be amenable to that but lying to court officials is not really on.

To be clear, I didn't lie. I ignored the summons until the date of the summons and then as soon as it past told them i was out of state at the time I was supposed to serve. I also told them that they sent it to the wrong address which delayed my receipt of the summons.

The problem with asking for dismissal or reassignment before the date of service is that could obviously be denied and I know that has happened to people in teh same situation...so then what do you do? Cancel your flight and holiday?

OttoVonBismarck

In your situation I likely would not have contacted them at all and waited to see if I received a further summons. At least in these parts, it is pretty damn common for people just to ignore the initial summons and etc, and usually you won't hear from the courts again for "a while." But you are on some sort of list at that point, and what is next is usually a letter saying you have to come to the next jury pool or whatever, at least that I've seen, you usually have to have ignored like...multiple letters and multiple jury pools to actually get in trouble. I had a redneck relative who threw away every letter he ever got about jury duty for like 3 years until he finally got a letter that basically said he could appear at X time or a warrant would be sworn out for his arrest on IIRC contempt maybe? He went in after that and claimed he had not received any of the previous letters because his daughter handles his mails, and then said he needed out of jury duty because he had a medical condition that made it painful for him to sit for long periods of time. The judge excused him.

OttoVonBismarck

My impression is a significant portion of the court's ability to fill jury pools is a decent chunk of the population is under the impression they get carted off straight to jail for ignoring it, when, at least here, the reality is that is only used in extreme situations for the likely reason that the court system can't afford to fuck around like that with every ignorant redneck type who never reads their mail.

Barrister

I am prohibited by law from serving on a jury in Alberta. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on October 06, 2022, 02:14:45 PMI am prohibited by law from serving on a jury in Alberta. :(

What did you do? :o
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

I know there are lots of dishonest ways to get out of jury service, like lying by saying you can't be impartial or are biased against some group. Or wearing a ridiculous costume. I wouldn't be comfortable with that stuff.

But an attorney relative told me that if you wear a suit to jury duty that is a sure fire way to get dismissed. I'm going to try that next time.

OttoVonBismarck

Bud just being a white male is legitimately enough to get you chucked whenever they can. White males have a stereotype of being far more likely to convict than acquit, and good defense attorneys always try to find ways to get them excluded (ideally without having to use some of their limited peremptory challenges, but they will use those too.)