Pronunciations that irrationally trigger you

Started by Josquius, October 03, 2022, 12:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on October 08, 2022, 05:17:37 PMThanks!  Their say is odd. Really close but not enough. The uncanny Valley of words
Yea - I find the American pronunciation similarly weird and great :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

So Americans say squirtle. :w00t:

I don't get it, but the word squirrel seems to be a whole thing with francophones.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 08, 2022, 04:46:58 PMOne that irrationally triggers me is "iss-yoo" for issue.

They don't annoy me because just different countries but I'll never not marvel at the American pronunciation of, say, squirrel, buoy or niche :blush: :lol:

Shed-yule too?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Josquius on October 08, 2022, 05:27:33 PMSo Americans say squirtle. :w00t:

I don't get it, but the word squirrel seems to be a whole thing with francophones.

The "irl" sound used to give me trouble as a kid.  I would say "skuller" instead.  Same problem with "girl".  I'd pronounce it "guller", foreshadowing the day I would have to throw Dguller off a bridge in self-defense.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

I've mentioned before my quest to change Americans' pronounciation of karaoke.  I understand the Japanese R sounds odd, but what really grinds my gears is pronouncing A as Y and E as EE.

FYI I've managed to win over one convert in about 20 years.

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2022, 09:34:28 PMI've mentioned before my quest to change Americans' pronounciation of karaoke.  I understand the Japanese R sounds odd, but what really grinds my gears is pronouncing A as Y and E as EE.

I have no idea how to pronounce that word, badly or otherwise.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

mongers

Quote from: Berkut on October 09, 2022, 08:34:46 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2022, 09:34:28 PMI've mentioned before my quest to change Americans' pronounciation of karaoke.  I understand the Japanese R sounds odd, but what really grinds my gears is pronouncing A as Y and E as EE.

I have no idea how to pronounce that word, badly or otherwise.

Kari-oakie. :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on October 03, 2022, 12:22:15 PMWater? As in WOT-TER?

How else would you pronounce it? WAIT-ER, perhaps?

The American T.

When a T has vowels before and after it, the T sound is changed to D sound.

Butter --> Budder
Waiter --> Waider

Etc...
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on October 03, 2022, 07:21:13 PMI don't know if I have ever actually met somebody with a New England accent and I hear it all the time. I think you are so used to it you don't even notice it because it is a very common American thing. I know I do it and I don't have a New England accent. Far from it.

It just comes from half-assing the 't' sound after the vowel.
We met once didn't we?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

ulmont

Quote from: Valmy on October 03, 2022, 12:42:24 PMMissourah. What is up with that? Where else is -i pronounced -ah?

Devil, council, basil, pupil, etc. all use i to signify the schwa - ə - unstressed vowel sound you have written here as "ah".