Pronunciations that irrationally trigger you

Started by Josquius, October 03, 2022, 12:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Berkut on October 03, 2022, 11:51:15 PMThat was cool Yi.

I actually did not know that the English were incapable of properly speaking the word!

There is an 'r' right there on the end! Clear as day!

Says the land that doesn't know the difference between a d and a t :p
██████
██████
██████

HVC

I actually did not know that the English were incapable of properly speaking the word!

Just one more thing they invented, but suck at. Tennis, cricket, soccer. It's a trend :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on October 03, 2022, 04:38:17 PMYou realise I hope that if your language had some semblance of rules on how the writing of words should relate to how they are pronounced this wouldn't be a problem.

Yes and no. German is fairly consistent in pronouncing things consistently based on spelling, but you will find variances due to local dialects. E.g. g and the end of words - usually pronounced like in "go", but where I'm from it's often turned into a soft "ch" sound like in German "ich". I've known folks who pronounce the ending "-er" always as "ä" (like in "air") due to their local dialect.

Similar, in Vienna B/P, T/D, G/K at the start of syllables are often pronounced pretty much the same t the point that when spelling your name out you often have to specify whether it's hard T or soft D for example.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

As if the letters written ever had more than a vague relation to the sounds pronounced.

Admiral Yi

Back on topic, libary for library and axe for ask grate on me.  In ebonics.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 04, 2022, 02:19:58 AMBack on topic, libary for library and axe for ask grate on me.  In ebonics.

So racist. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on October 04, 2022, 02:03:49 AMAs if the letters written ever had more than a vague relation to the sounds pronounced.

:lol:

There's an entire past grammatical concept in french that only exist because some asshole went to Italy and decided french needed the same thing; 700 years ago.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 04, 2022, 05:15:04 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 04, 2022, 02:03:49 AMAs if the letters written ever had more than a vague relation to the sounds pronounced.

:lol:

There's an entire past grammatical concept in french that only exist because some asshole went to Italy and decided french needed the same thing; 700 years ago.

L'accord du participe passé.  :smarty: If there were no exceptions, that would be not so bad.  :P
I would say the rule is likely to fall in disuse in 50 years or less. Don't known if people still know the rule, lots of mistakes around here.

Yet I must say mistaken past participle agreements with object grate my ears.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on October 04, 2022, 01:37:46 AM

Says the land that doesn't know the difference between a d and a t :p

Says the land that doesn't know the difference between a land and a person.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

One that irrationally triggers me is "iss-yoo" for issue.

They don't annoy me because just different countries but I'll never not marvel at the American pronunciation of, say, squirrel, buoy or niche :blush: :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

Thanks!  Their say is odd. Really close but not enough. The uncanny Valley of words