Pronunciations that irrationally trigger you

Started by Josquius, October 03, 2022, 12:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Maladict on October 03, 2022, 01:04:15 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2022, 12:38:39 PMFor me it's hearing people, usually Americans, pronouncing clique as click.

This. And pronouncing niche as nitch.

Well don't talk to me then  :blush:

Though sometimes we say 'cleek' or 'neesh' but it takes on a formal tone. If I said 'cleek' people would think I was talking about a political faction A petty social group, well they are a 'click'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 03, 2022, 02:15:33 PMThe Brits pronouncing Don Quixote as "quicks-it".

Fortunately Texans are well aware that 'x' is pronounced 'h' in Spanish. Also: 'j' is pronounced 'h'. If you actually see an 'h' you just ignore it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Habbaku

Mischievous pronounced "miss-cheevy-us" instead of correctly.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

FunkMonk

There are no pronounciations that irrationally trigger me.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on October 03, 2022, 12:42:24 PMMissourah. What is up with that? Where else is -i pronounced -ah? How did that even come to pass?
We lost a war to Iowa. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Locals calling Canada's largest city "Taraahna" kind of irks me, but it's their city so I guess they can call it what they want.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

You realise I hope that if your language had some semblance of rules on how the writing of words should relate to how they are pronounced this wouldn't be a problem.

mongers

I'm partially deaf, so lots of words sound very similar to me, primarily because I have difficulty hearing the differences between the vowel sounds.
I also mispronounce a lot too, so I'm not bothered by picking people up on it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

I've not heard "wadder" for water, outside of maybe New England (where the normal pronunciation is more like "waddah"), but D where the word requires T is annoying for sure.

I am irrationally triggered by seeing the Brits consistently fuck up the fine word "ass" by adding an R to it ("arse").  I know that it is actually a completely different word derived from a different language, but that's thinking rationally and my irritation is irrational.

A way to trigger rational me is to try to qualify the adjective "unique."  Something is either unique, or it is not.  "Almost unique" means exactly the same as "not unique."  Qualifying infinity ("an almost infinite number of ways to do this") doesn't trigger me, because nothing is infinite (except the stupidity of those that try to qualify "unique").
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

I don't know if I have ever actually met somebody with a New England accent and I hear it all the time. I think you are so used to it you don't even notice it because it is a very common American thing. I know I do it and I don't have a New England accent. Far from it.

It just comes from half-assing the 't' sound after the vowel.

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on October 03, 2022, 07:21:13 PMI don't know if I have ever actually met somebody with a New England accent and I hear it all the time. I think you are so used to it you don't even notice it because it is a very common American thing. I know I do it and I don't have a New England accent. Far from it.

It just comes from half-assing the 't' sound after the vowel.

I don't hear that regularly and I do associate it with a New England accent. I guess it's also common Texas.

The one that really irks me is t-glottalization.

11B4V

Quote from: Josquius on October 03, 2022, 12:20:06 PMWater.
The American pronunciation of water.
It makes my blood boil. It makes me want to smash. I can't put my finger on why. But it's just so.... Off and upsets my ears.

Are there any similar accent and word pairs that similarly send a weird twinge from your ear to your brain?

Not so much asking  here which accents suck. But rather is there any particular word in another accent which you find off?

What
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljJrrGgoLOU

There are no problems in life that can't be solved by duct tape or google.  Youtube of course being a subsidiary.

The American comes on at 3:21.

I *guess* the pronounced R is what Squeeze is talking about.

Berkut

That was cool Yi.

I actually did not know that the English were incapable of properly speaking the word!

There is an 'r' right there on the end! Clear as day!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on October 03, 2022, 05:32:12 PMI'm partially deaf, so lots of words sound very similar to me, primarily because I have difficulty hearing the differences between the vowel sounds.
I also mispronounce a lot too, so I'm not bothered by picking people up on it.

I'm an expert on bowel sounds. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.