Pronunciations that irrationally trigger you

Started by Josquius, October 03, 2022, 12:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Water.
The American pronunciation of water.
It makes my blood boil. It makes me want to smash. I can't put my finger on why. But it's just so.... Off and upsets my ears.

Are there any similar accent and word pairs that similarly send a weird twinge from your ear to your brain?

Not so much asking  here which accents suck. But rather is there any particular word in another accent which you find off?
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Water? As in WOT-TER?

How else would you pronounce it? WAIT-ER, perhaps?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Something that annoys me - people who needlessly emphasize adjectives.

If the sunset is beautiful, you can just say "Wow, that is a beautiful sunset!"

You don't need to say "Wow, that is a BE-YOOOOUUUU-TI-FUHLLLLL sunset!"

The emphasis is right there in the word itself! 
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

OK, I've got one.

Manitoba historically was first settled by French-speaking Metis.  They gave a lot of places very French names.

Some of those places have persisted in having a notable French-speaking population through to today.  So those places it is entirely correct to give those names a French-sounding pronunciation.  St. Boniface, a region of Winnipeg, is one such area.

But other areas are entirely english, and have entirely adopted an anglophone pronunciation.  So it always grinds me gears to hear someone from outside Manitoba try to pronounce towns like Dauphin or Portage la Prairie in a French pronunciation.  (think DAWfin vs dowFAN).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

For me it's hearing people, usually Americans, pronouncing clique as click.

Valmy

Missourah. What is up with that? Where else is -i pronounced -ah? How did that even come to pass?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on October 03, 2022, 12:22:15 PMWater? As in WOT-TER?

Is the T pronounced where you are?  I am not sure if this is his grip, but I often hear Americans not pronounce the t and it becomes more like wader

Valmy

Yeah we tend to do that.

Wadder. Budder. Pronouncing that word with a 't' sound would surprise many of us.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on October 03, 2022, 12:30:26 PMOK, I've got one.

Manitoba historically was first settled by French-speaking Metis.  They gave a lot of places very French names.

Some of those places have persisted in having a notable French-speaking population through to today.  So those places it is entirely correct to give those names a French-sounding pronunciation.  St. Boniface, a region of Winnipeg, is one such area.

But other areas are entirely english, and have entirely adopted an anglophone pronunciation.  So it always grinds me gears to hear someone from outside Manitoba try to pronounce towns like Dauphin or Portage la Prairie in a French pronunciation.  (think DAWfin vs dowFAN).

Another mild one for me is Scar-boro.

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2022, 12:44:34 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 03, 2022, 12:22:15 PMWater? As in WOT-TER?

Is the T pronounced where you are?  I am not sure if this is his grip, but I often hear Americans not pronounce the t and it becomes more like wader

Sounds right.

To me watta to be proppa northern (swallowed ts) or if you're speaking the queen's English then war-ta. Not waaaduh.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2022, 12:38:39 PMFor me it's hearing people, usually Americans, pronouncing clique as click.

This. And pronouncing niche as nitch.

Admiral Yi

Urinal pronounced You Rye Nal.  Not triggered, it just sounds mildly ridiculous to my ear.

Grey Fox

Cul-de-sac in english.

Any english pronunciation of a french word ending in e where the e is actually pronounced.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

The Brits pronouncing Don Quixote as "quicks-it".