News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Iranian Protests

Started by Jacob, September 20, 2022, 12:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Looks like some Iranians are taking to the streets against the regime: https://twitter.com/r_siavosh/status/1571929876420071428

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

After the various shitshows in the region I'm no longer investing emotional energy in Middle Eastern democracy.

Valmy

The Iranians, or at least a vocal minority, hate the regime and seem to do this every few years. Without a crack in the security forces or the ruling class it won't go anywhere but the fact this keeps happening doesn't bode well for Iran's government over the long term.

And it certainly does not mean whatever replaces it will be good or even something marginally better.

It's certainly a tenuous situation in a tenuous region full of tenuous situations.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Day five: https://twitter.com/dpatrikarakos/status/1572282574780895232

The trigger, by the way, was the morality police beating a woman - Mahsa Amini (22) - for wearing "the wrong kind of hijab". She died shortly thereafter from her injuries.

Berkut

Good for them. Would love to see something really come out of it.

But emotionally, I am with Yi.

I truly want to see this kind of thing suceed, but mostly it seems to fail, or if it suceeds, some other crazies take over anyway.

And then everyone blames the US regardless.

Makes it hard to invest much emotionally.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

I know some folks aren't emotionally invested in Iran, but I'll post updates and bits of interest as (if) they appear.

Women cutting her hair in protest against Mahsa Amini's death, while the crowd chants "death to the dictator": https://twitter.com/GEsfandiari/status/1572268954684653571

Admiral Yi

I said I'm not invested in democracy in Iran.  I'm invested in Iran because the chicks are hot.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 20, 2022, 05:56:42 PMI said I'm not invested in democracy in Iran.  I'm invested in Iran because the chicks are hot.

I have no beef with how you manage your investment strategies. You do you :hug:

Berkut

LOL. I am always happy to have someone like you Jake ping me with interesting news updates.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on September 20, 2022, 06:10:18 PMLOL. I am always happy to have someone like you Jake ping me with interesting news updates.

:cheers:

celedhring

Everyone I have met from Iran (and who isn't an emigré, who also hate it) hates the regime with passion. Obviously anecdotal, but here's that.

I also met once a guy that worked in the Spanish embassy in Tehran and had some pretty good anecdotes, like how he'd attend "clandestine" parties where women came in wearing full-body veil and would have their cocktail dresses under it.

The Brain

My impression is that the typical Westerner is much more exposed to the Tehran middle and upper classes than to the typical Iranian. My impression is also that the Tehran middle and upper classes are not representative of Iran as a whole, any more than middle and upper class New Yorkers are representative of the US.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on September 21, 2022, 05:04:15 AMMy impression is that the typical Westerner is much more exposed to the Tehran middle and upper classes than to the typical Iranian. My impression is also that the Tehran middle and upper classes are not representative of Iran as a whole, no more than middle and upper class New Yorkers are representative of the US.

Yeah you go to Budapest and talk to young middle class folks there, by and large they will be near-perfectly Westernised and firmly anti-Orban. The farther you go from Budapest though, the more of the Eastern dystopia you are going to encounter.

I imagine this must be even worse in a place like Iran.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on September 21, 2022, 05:06:20 AMYeah you go to Budapest and talk to young middle class folks there, by and large they will be near-perfectly Westernised and firmly anti-Orban. The farther you go from Budapest though, the more of the Eastern dystopia you are going to encounter.

I imagine this must be even worse in a place like Iran.

Yeah, I've read a couple of travel-type books on Iran, and this is the way those authors described it.  That's also the case in places like Turkey.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!