News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

God Save The King

Started by Caliga, September 08, 2022, 12:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

While most people seem to pay their respects, segments of the Irish, Kenyan, Indian, etc. response are a fair bit more ... jubilant. :ph34r:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 08, 2022, 04:51:39 PMThere was a Le Monde column - perhaps on that sibling/neighbourly contrast - of Macron attempting to fill the royal void in France, while the Queen helped make Britain forget the anachronism of monarchy.
I would rate Le Monde higher (much, much ;) than Le Monde Diplomatique, but it is still a very left leaning newspaper and as such, everything it writes about politician should be interpreted under that lense.  I get the feeling it is more about disparaging Macron than anything else, given his... personal style.

I wouldn't say The Queen has ever attempted  to make Britain (or its colonies) forget the anachronism of monarchy, quite the contrary.  What kind of actions has she taken that would embody such vision?

I think Macron wouldn't mind going beyond the two term limit since he's young (44), but that doesn't mean he'd enjoy serving a life sentence at the Élysée. ;)   There are lots of career opportunities for influential ex-politicians, should they wish to pursue some honest work.  He'll likely play his cards well, try to maximize the chances that his successor is elected President and then get a nomination as ambassador to Canada and have regular chit-chats with Justin (who has no term limits and is unlikely to be defeated by the next two or three Conservative leaders) about the post-national world over some kombucha tea. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on September 09, 2022, 02:03:53 AMWhile most people seem to pay their respects, segments of the Irish, Kenyan, Indian, etc. response are a fair bit more ... jubilant. :ph34r:
And I wonder why... :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

I'm told that apparently the Swiss news announced she was dead at lunch time.
Other foreign media jumped the gun?

Quote from: Syt on September 09, 2022, 02:03:53 AMWhile most people seem to pay their respects, segments of the Irish, Kenyan, Indian, etc. response are a fair bit more ... jubilant. :ph34r:

Fair few on twitter providing wonderful ammunition to the far right.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Is it still the Duke of Norfolk who organizes coronations?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 09, 2022, 03:56:43 AM
Quote from: The Brain on September 09, 2022, 03:54:25 AMIs it still the Duke of Norfolk who organizes coronations?
Yes.

Cool. I saw some stuff about that in Arundel Castle.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

Who better than the country's leading Roman Catholic to organise the coronation of the next Church of England's Supreme Governor?

Crazy_Ivan80

Salty because it wasn't their countries building world spanning empires and engaging in the accompanying 'group activities'...

Sheilbh

Yeah - though we are seeing very online people and I've seen a fair few references to them needing to stage an intervention with their elders :lol:

It is justified though. I've far less time for all the American blue tick shitposting which I find a bit weird.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

I don't think they can beat the Argentinian show that started popping champagne to celebrate the news.  :lol:

I liked this one:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on September 08, 2022, 05:48:51 PMHey! They also teamed up against the Russians and the Spanish before that.

And Scotland and France were best buds, France even invented Calvinism for them. That was nice, right?

National shame of France. :( But no, Calvin eventually became Swiss.  :P

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 09, 2022, 05:01:52 AM
Yeah - though we are seeing very online people and I've seen a fair few references to them needing to stage an intervention with their elders :lol:

It is justified though. I've far less time for all the American blue tick shitposting which I find a bit weird.

I say it doesn't feel like the time and place. If you don't have anything nice to say, you don't need to immediately have your say.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 09, 2022, 04:14:17 AMWho better than the country's leading Roman Catholic to organise the coronation of the next Church of England's Supreme Governor?

:hmm:

Makes sense cf. Fidei Defensor.

FunkMonk

Question for the English from a dumb American: Who/what is a "gammon" and what does it mean?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.