News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

God Save The King

Started by Caliga, September 08, 2022, 12:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 09, 2022, 06:27:29 AMQuestion for the English from a dumb American: Who/what is a "gammon" and what does it mean?

Literally it is a kind of pork meat, but it has evolved into an insult for someone who is very right wing. A Brit can give some better context for that.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 09, 2022, 06:10:42 AM:hmm:

Makes sense cf. Fidei Defensor.
Although I believe Charles had wanted to change that title to "defender of faith" or "defender of faiths" - wonder if he'll do it now. The Queen was very Christian and I'm sure Charles is too, but he's taken a really keen interest in Islamic philosophy and is known for having very close relations with Muslim and Jewish clerics especially.

QuoteI say it doesn't feel like the time and place. If you don't have anything nice to say, you don't need to immediately have your say.
To be honest with the Americans a lot of it looks (not for the first time) that being prominent on social media just leads you to basically being a high-functioning sociopath. Whether it's Trumpies telling people that they should give their thoughts and prayers to the royal family AND the Trump family because of how close they were or progressive Americans shitposting about how bad monarchy is - it just feels like a very weird inability to not try to inject yourself and your views (dialled to 11 for content) into things.

As I say I absolutely get it and think it is justified from Commonwealth diaspora in the UK, or countries that were victims of British imperialism, especially if they've only liberated themselves recently.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 09, 2022, 05:01:52 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 09, 2022, 02:03:53 AMWhile most people seem to pay their respects, segments of the Irish, Kenyan, Indian, etc. response are a fair bit more ... jubilant. :ph34r:
Yeah - though we are seeing very online people and I've seen a fair few references to them needing to stage an intervention with their elders :lol:

It is justified though. I've far less time for all the American blue tick shitposting which I find a bit weird.

I don't understand what this means. :shame:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on September 09, 2022, 06:31:16 AMLiterally it is a kind of pork meat, but it has evolved into an insult for someone who is very right wing. A Brit can give some better context for that.
Yeah - like the reverse of snowflake (and referring to their florid colouring when they get angry which looks a bit like gammon). Eg the wall of gammon from Question Time:
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 09, 2022, 06:31:22 AMTo be honest with the Americans a lot of it looks (not for the first time) that being prominent on social media just leads you to basically being a high-functioning sociopath. Whether it's Trumpies telling people that they should give their thoughts and prayers to the royal family AND the Trump family because of how close they were or progressive Americans shitposting about how bad monarchy is - it just feels like a very weird inability to not try to inject yourself and your views (dialled to 11 for content) into things.

As I say I absolutely get it and think it is justified from Commonwealth diaspora in the UK, or countries that were victims of British imperialism, especially if they've only liberated themselves recently.

I think you are being sloppy. It isn't just Americans who have that tendency but rather that social media users in general always feel like they have to be part of the conversation, they have to be active participants no matter if they have something worth saying or not.

Crowing on day 1 seems unnecessary whomever you are, especially given that person is dead. Literally nothing they can do anymore. The successor on the other hand...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 09, 2022, 05:01:52 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 09, 2022, 02:03:53 AMWhile most people seem to pay their respects, segments of the Irish, Kenyan, Indian, etc. response are a fair bit more ... jubilant. :ph34r:
Yeah - though we are seeing very online people and I've seen a fair few references to them needing to stage an intervention with their elders :lol:

It is justified though. I've far less time for all the American blue tick shitposting which I find a bit weird.

Is it?
I can maybe see it for e.g. Kenyans from groups who supported the maumau, that coming under her reign and the current state of histography on the topic.
But for Ireland?
Most of the bad shit came solidly before her reign, before her birth even. The queen was pretty good for for mending bridges.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Don't know how trustworthy this survey might be...  :hmm:

chipwich

Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2022, 03:57:33 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2022, 01:45:54 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2022, 01:02:45 PMI also wonder what Alberta's Court of Queen's Bench is going to do.  Do they immediately order lawyers to start using "King's Bench"?  Do they keep QB for a time for a more orderly transition?  Do they keep the name QB?

Or does someone decide this is the opportunity to rename it entirely?  Only the prairie provinces and New Brunswick use QB as the name of our superior court.

Apparently it's states in the statute that even though the statute is named the Court of Queen's Bench Act, that during the reign of a King it will be called the Court of King's Bench.

Yup - apparently at least one Justice confirmed today in court they were sitting as the Court of King's Bench.

That guy is in for a world of hurt after Queen Anne II cleans her brothers' blood off her blade at the cornoation

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on September 09, 2022, 06:49:20 AMI think you are being sloppy. It isn't just Americans who have that tendency but rather that social media users in general always feel like they have to be part of the conversation, they have to be active participants no matter if they have something worth saying or not.
You're right - I'm seeing it more with blue tick Americans today, but that is possibly because I'm just following them more and because there's more of them around on social media. But you're right it is a general social media thing and not even limited to this - it's not the first time I've watched the terminally online and thought about this.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on September 09, 2022, 06:58:18 AMDon't know how trustworthy this survey might be...  :hmm:

17% is almost too high for France.  :P

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 09, 2022, 06:31:22 AMAs I say I absolutely get it and think it is justified from Commonwealth diaspora in the UK, or countries that were victims of British imperialism, especially if they've only liberated themselves recently.

I think that people celebrating her death as a colonialist, while under her reign the British Empire voluntarily freed all of its colonies - is certainly an interesting take.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Oexmelin

The British monarch is a symbol, and therefore it is also a symbol of the long history of the monarchy, and the long history of the United Kingdom, including the long history of British imperialism. That symbolism is, these days, the essence of the function. It goes with the territory.

Otherwise, she's a politician, and would require to ascribe decolonialism to her, as a personal decision, along with accountability (which is in direct contradiction with the idea of monarchy).

(Interestingly, this is very much similar to arguments erupting during the French Revolution. Louis XVI may have been a benign monarch, a nice person, and interested in reform in his own time, but you can't wrap yourself in history when it suits you, hope to wield it as a source of immense prestige and influence, and discard it when it backfires).
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Well clearly the imperialism didn't bother the Indians or the Malaysians too much judging by that chart. Or if it did, it didn't impact their feelings about the British Monarchy.

So why does Spain hate the Windsors? Is it out of solidarity with Argentina?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 09, 2022, 10:08:36 AMThe British monarch is a symbol, and therefore it is also a symbol of the long history of the monarchy, and the long history of the United Kingdom, including the long history of British imperialism. That symbolism is, these days, the essence of the function. It goes with the territory.

Otherwise, she's a politician, and would require to ascribe decolonialism to her, as a personal decision, along with accountability (which is in direct contradiction with the idea of monarchy).

(Interestingly, this is very much similar to arguments erupting during the French Revolution. Louis XVI may have been a benign monarch, a nice person, and interested in reform in his own time, but you can't wrap yourself in history when it suits you, hope to wield it as a source of immense prestige and influence, and discard it when it backfires).

People can, and do, say what they will about the monarchy.  And certainly Queen Elizabeth represented the monarchy and the British state.

Yesterday though was the death of a person.  And in that moment celebrating her death was in poor taste.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.