War in the Pacific - Admiral's Edition: Pricing announced.

Started by Syt, July 19, 2009, 03:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HisMajestyBOB

It's definitely worth it at that price.
There's smaller scenarios that are also fun and more approachable. Coral Sea is pretty quick.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Maladict

Syt

Quote from: Maladict on September 04, 2022, 12:35:33 PMOh wow, they're doing Rule the Waves 3? Interesting

Timeline 1890 - 1970 seems ambitious. RTW1 was very focused on the run up to WW1. RTW2 added WW2 - haven't played it much, so not sure how well it handled the transition to carrier warfare, or the scale of the Pacific War. So kinda curious how they'll handle extending the timeline even further.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on September 04, 2022, 12:38:13 PM
Quote from: Maladict on September 04, 2022, 12:35:33 PMOh wow, they're doing Rule the Waves 3? Interesting

Timeline 1890 - 1970 seems ambitious. RTW1 was very focused on the run up to WW1. RTW2 added WW2 - haven't played it much, so not sure how well it handled the transition to carrier warfare, or the scale of the Pacific War. So kinda curious how they'll handle extending the timeline even further.

IIRC it starts from the ironclad era, 1860 or so. I wish they went with that but stopped with WW2 the latest.

Syt

I mean, I wish them good luck with this, but I feel that in such games there's often a trade off. Either cover one specific area extremely well, or cover a large area very generically. It's rare that someone pulls off a large range with huge detail. Take Operational Art of War vs. the Decisive Campaigns series. Command: Modern Operations springs to mind as an exception, but there's probably aspects that it sims better in some areas than in others. Perhaps Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin or the original Steel Panthers I & II fall into that category.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

HisMajestyBOB

I love RtW1 and 2, but agree that expanding the timeline will dilute the focus. Early 1900 battles are already slugfests since the crappy guns and ammo of the era can't defeat anything armored, and I fail to see how going back to 1890 will do anything besides resulting in another 10 years of boring battles with slow ships and short range guns.

A lot of the other changes look really good though. I'm particularly excited about having actual captains and admirals.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Syt

Btw, if someone needs something to have on in the background for a very long time - TortugaPower has a 66 episode AAR for RTW2 as Austria-Hungary. :P

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuXzIAdwiCCzxQpfL4yxmn8j4qqUpfG21
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on September 05, 2022, 01:21:19 PMBtw, if someone needs something to have on in the background for a very long time - TortugaPower has a 66 episode AAR for RTW2 as Austria-Hungary. :P

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuXzIAdwiCCzxQpfL4yxmn8j4qqUpfG21

Rule the Waves is definitely in the category of games that I watch other people play so I don't have to  :P  :blush:

Alcibiades

Rule the waves is fantastic, own one and two, and I will buy three even though it was supposed to be just a DLC released this summer so it won't justify what ever price tag they put on it, at all.

Two did carrier warfare well I think, but they need to do something about the map and that whole system, which they don't plan on updating for this iteration they confirmed on their forum - since before their Matrix deal it was just going to be a DLC.

Ultimate Admirals: Dreadnaughts is doing what they are doing in a much better way, unfortunately, and they've pretty much blatantly stolen a lot of their mechanics.  I'm sure RTW is way better in the details and how things actually work, but visually its not even a competition.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain