My PC is acting all squirrely

Started by Berkut, August 06, 2022, 09:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Been going on for a while on my gaming desktop.

It just crashes a lot. Usually when it goes to sleep mode, it doesn't wake up. Gives me an error screen some of the time, and other times it just reboots.

I suspect memory. But I am loathe to replace the memory, and then find out the motherboard is the problem. Thinking about just upgrading CPU/MB/memory. I am kind of due. I currently have a AMD Ryzen 7 7200X.

Thinking about a Intel i5-12600 ($280), a Asrock Z690M, and 32GB of DDR4/3600 Ram ($100). I already have a NVidia 2070 GFX card, and I think that will continue to be fine for now. Have a good case as well.

Seems like about $600 gets me a pretty nice new system that should last another 3 or 4 years.

Thoughts?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

I had an issue with power save on sleep mode after a windows update. It'd go to sleep and not wake up. I also had the added benefit that once in a while I'd have to unplug the computer for a few minutes or it wouldn't turn on. Maybe try turnoff that function first?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Berkut

0 rows returned

Berkut

My main fear at this point, I suppose, is that the error is coming from my graphics card. In which case replacing everything BUT the graphics card would be rather....expensively not useful.

0 rows returned

DGuller

I used to have a problem with my PC not restarting after a Windows update, or successfully starting very sporadically.  It turns out that disconnecting a spinning HDD which I used for quick backups of my SSDs solved it.

grumbler

I'd think power supply before video card.  How old is the PS?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on August 06, 2022, 09:48:17 PMUsually when it goes to sleep mode, it doesn't wake up. Thoughts?
that is usually a video card problem.  I've had this problem before. The random crash could be either GPU or memory, but combined with sleep mode not coming back, I'm pretty sure it's a GPU problem.

Unfortunately, I know of no good software to test this.

You could try cleaning the GPU fan(s) first, see if it's a heat problem, before replacing the GPU.  In fact, do it for all the computer fans, CPU&case.  If the problem persists, replace the GPU.  Prices are getting good, Nvidia and AMD.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

If you think that it is a GPU heat problem, you can find out on YouTube how to disassemble and clean it.  Did wonders for the temps on mine (I also replaced the thermal paste since I had the thing apart anyway).

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Seems unlikely to be heat - it never fails under load. Just when the PC goes to sleep, mostly.

Well, I should not say "never", rarely is a better description.

0 rows returned

HisMajestyBOB

Check the hard drive. That sounds a bit like what happened with my laptop HDD. Computer often crashed after waking from sleep and also had other squirrely issues. I tested it and bad sectors were multiplying like rabbits. I replaced it with an SSD and everything works well. Honestly, if you're using an HDD as a main or only drive you should replace it with an SSD (128 or 256 are pretty common and not too expensive), with a second (or third, in a RAID 1 setup) large capacity HDD if needed.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help