Which Ethnic Slurs Do You/Can You Still Use?

Started by Admiral Yi, July 14, 2022, 09:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on July 15, 2022, 08:16:50 AMSurely by definition if its acceptable to use its not an ethnic slur?

My thesis is that descriptors can start out as slurs and then over time, combined with laughing indifference of the target group rooted in self confidence (or whatever is the opposite of defensiveness), the terms become defanged and innocuous.

A great example not from the ethnic sphere is "queer."  I'm not sure about Canuck but I believe the others I mentioned at one point or another were intended as insults.

Admiral Yi

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 15, 2022, 05:03:46 PMWhat is the derivation of Rital?

https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rital

I'm French, but basically R.ital was the abbreviation for "refuge italian" after ww2
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on July 15, 2022, 05:08:42 PMI'm French

Wanting to be and being French are not the same thing.  Just ask Valmy.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 15, 2022, 05:12:03 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 15, 2022, 05:08:42 PMI'm French

Wanting to be and being French are not the same thing.  Just ask Valmy.

Lol stupid phone. Should read In
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Interesting.  So somewhat on the same theme as Wop, which was an acronym standing for without papers.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 14, 2022, 09:58:25 PMI think of this group as high confidence ethnicities.

I use Pom and Canuck.  Mick might not work with Irish Irish but in my experience it works fine with Irish Americans.  I use gringo too.  Yank I object to on regional grounds.  Only New Englanders are yankees.

I'm not going to call a Jew a kike, but I will say something about Jewfros.

Don't get a lot of chances to use frog.  Don't know how that would play.

I won't call a German a kraut but I will say sommething like "that kraut soccer team is badass."
I sometime use Canuck but not as a racial slur.
The same with Yankee.

Aside that, I'm not strong on nicknames and racial slurs.

EDIT:
There's an expression in Quebec, much less used today, but more in vogue when I was a kid: "working as a n*", meaning you worked really, really hard.  I never took it a racial insult, but apparently it is.  And I've often used it too.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2022, 03:34:21 PMOtherwise yeah it kind of means you are a rude, selfish, piece of crap like everybody born north of Maryland is supposed to be. Your BBQ and Mexican Food sucks. Also you don't like college football. Just the worst.
I'm not entirely convinced people born south of Maryland have better culinary traditions... :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on July 15, 2022, 06:25:36 PMEDIT:
There's an expression in Quebec, much less used today, but more in vogue when I was a kid: "working as a n*", meaning you worked really, really hard.  I never took it a racial insult, but apparently it is.  And I've often used it too.

Travailler comme un nègre (trabalhar como um mouro for HVC  :P ) is beyond the pale (pun intended). Nègre is not necessarily a slur, unlike négro, but avoided most of the time. Even nègre blanc, a former synonym of albino(s) is not heard nor heard.

PS: came upon a Québec dub of a Lorenzo Lamas late '80s DTV (masterpiece for you Viper  :D ) where bamboula was quite liberally used. Dubbing "poetic license" or was acceptable back then? Pretty un-PC nowadays.
Movie:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102950

Snake Eater II: the drug buster / L'indomptable II : l'anti-drogue

celedhring

"work like a Negro" is a reference to slavery, hence the expression (also used in Spain) being pretty racist.

Josephus

the only one I use, and am conscious of it, is when I say something like "That guy gypped me."
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 16, 2022, 07:17:14 AM
Quote from: viper37 on July 15, 2022, 06:25:36 PMEDIT:

Travailler comme un nègre (trabalhar como um mouro for HVC  :P ) is beyond the pale (pun intended). Nègre is not necessarily a slur, unlike négro, but avoided most of the time. Even nègre blanc, a former synonym of albino(s) is not heard nor heard.

PS: came upon a Québec dub of a Lorenzo Lamas late '80s DTV (masterpiece for you Viper  :D ) where bamboula was quite liberally used. Dubbing "poetic license" or was acceptable back then? Pretty un-PC nowadays.
Movie:

Haven't seen this one.  I believe I have watched most of Chuck Norris, JCVD and Seagal Movies (well, not the post 90s ones), but not Lamas 80s movies.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 16, 2022, 07:17:14 AMPS: came upon a Québec dub of a Lorenzo Lamas late '80s DTV (masterpiece for you Viper  :D ) where bamboula was quite liberally used. Dubbing "poetic license" or was acceptable back then? Pretty un-PC nowadays.
Movie:

QuoteHaven't seen this one.  I believe I have watched most of Chuck Norris, JCVD and Seagal Movies (well, not the post 90s ones), but not Lamas 80s movies.

Bottom of the barrel, with some intended humor however. Campy would be charitable.
For some reason it got a the trilogy got a full blu-release in Germany.  :D

Razgovory

I still use izo, knee-knockers, rigoree. punkle, pie-faced, and skink-eater.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017