Which Ethnic Slurs Do You/Can You Still Use?

Started by Admiral Yi, July 14, 2022, 09:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Barrister

Is negro, or coloured, really a slur though?

I mean I know they're not the preferred terms.  I do not use them.  But they do have a positive historical usage (like the NAACP, or UNCF).  I agree that people,  or groups, should be called by the term they preferred to be called by, which is why I wouldn't use those words.  But just because they aren't preferred does that make them a slur?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zoupa on July 15, 2022, 12:22:05 AMRosbiff, Yanks, Boches, Ritals.

Apart from Boches, I think they're all kosher.

Rital used to be extremely offensive but less nowadays. I can't say Italians around here like it nor do I use it. That's the province of the beauf if I may say so.

Boche still is but mostly old-fashioned. Got to use the German translation (!) thanks to Syt  :P , i.e Piefke.

Yanks/Amerloques/Ricains are colloquial, specially the last one, same for Rosbif, hardly the worst ones (Godons is more old-fashioned).

Thanks to Tamas, I have used infrequently Balkantard, but less so nowadays.

I don't use many ethnic slurs actually. Bezerro (Portuguese for North African) is the only one I can think of.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on July 15, 2022, 07:22:58 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 15, 2022, 01:56:22 AMLet me see... "gabacho" (Frenchie) I still use from time to time, funnily in SA it is used to refer to yanks (another one I use).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabacho

Also guiri, a very popular one in Spain - for foreign tourists. In particular white ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guiri

"Moro" (literally "moor", but it has become a slur nowadays) I stopped using decades ago. I'm now rehabbing for "paki", over here the word doesn't have the legacy it does in the UK, but it's just a little effort.

Moreno is still used in Portuguese for tanned.

You're mixing up Mo(u)ro e moreno.  :D Same as in Castilian.

As for negro in Portuguese it's the preferred form cf. Não sou preto, sou negro!
Preto is colloquial as a matter of fact and may be resented.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on July 15, 2022, 11:51:51 AMIs negro, or coloured, really a slur though?

I mean I know they're not the preferred terms.  I do not use them.  But they do have a positive historical usage (like the NAACP, or UNCF).  I agree that people,  or groups, should be called by the term they preferred to be called by, which is why I wouldn't use those words.  But just because they aren't preferred does that make them a slur?

I didn't say it was a slur, just that outside of historical things, generally not a term that should be used.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on July 15, 2022, 11:54:58 AMI didn't say it was a slur, just that outside of historical things, generally not a term that should be used.

Fair enough.  I agree with that assessment. :hug:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

I don't think I use any really - but I don't think I ever really have :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 15, 2022, 01:47:12 PMI don't think I use any really - but I don't think I ever really have :hmm:

Thinking back to my childhood, I recall a number of slurs that were commonly used idioms.  Examples - people would often refer to getting a lower price as "Jewing them down".  I also often heard people say "don't be an Indian giver".

Valmy

I generally use disparaging slurs about inferior people from other states. Okies, hillbillies, white-trash inbred hicks, yankees, Floridians. You know.

All in good fun. Except Floridians, that cuts deep.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 15, 2022, 03:29:23 PMIs Yankee disparaging?

When used as a proper noun it refers to a very evil baseball team, so yes.

Otherwise yeah it kind of means you are a rude, selfish, piece of crap like everybody born north of Maryland is supposed to be. Your BBQ and Mexican Food sucks. Also you don't like college football. Just the worst.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2022, 03:34:21 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 15, 2022, 03:29:23 PMIs Yankee disparaging?

When used as a proper noun it refers to a very evil baseball team, so yes.

Otherwise yeah it kind of means you are a rude, selfish, piece of crap like everybody born north of Maryland is supposed to be. Your BBQ and Mexican Food sucks. Also you don't like college football. Just the worst.

:D

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 15, 2022, 01:47:12 PMI don't think I use any really - but I don't think I ever really have :hmm:

You've obviously never been really mad :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on July 15, 2022, 04:31:27 PM

You've obviously never been really mad :D
This is actually true. I am a very relaxed laid back person - have the odd moment of rage (normally at rudeness) but otherwise pretty chill  :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!