Which Ethnic Slurs Do You/Can You Still Use?

Started by Admiral Yi, July 14, 2022, 09:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Let me see... "gabacho" (Frenchie) I still use from time to time, funnily in SA it is used to refer to yanks (another one I use).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabacho

Also guiri, a very popular one in Spain - for foreign tourists. In particular white ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guiri

"Moro" (literally "moor", but it has become a slur nowadays) I stopped using decades ago. I'm now rehabbing for "paki", over here the word doesn't have the legacy it does in the UK, but it's just a little effort.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on July 15, 2022, 01:56:22 AMLet me see... "gabacho" (Frenchie) I still use from time to time, funnily in SA it is used to refer to yanks (another one I use).

Also guiri, a very popular one in Spain - for foreign tourists. In particular white ones.

"Moro" (literally "moor", but it has become a slur nowadays) I stopped using decades ago. I'm now rehabbing for "paki", over here the word doesn't have the legacy it does in the UK, but it's just a little effort.

What about "gitano"?  :ph34r: Offensive slur or proper identifier?

@Yi, most of the ones you mentioned sound endearingly old-fashioned rather than offensive to me.

HVC

Quote from: celedhring on July 15, 2022, 01:56:22 AMLet me see... "gabacho" (Frenchie) I still use from time to time, funnily in SA it is used to refer to yanks (another one I use).

Moreno is still used in Portuguese for tanned.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Surely by definition if its acceptable to use its not an ethnic slur?

The closest to acceptable ethnic slurs I'd say are where things aimed vs people are racist whilst in other contexts aren't. Jap for instance; not cool when talking about a person...but Japan's standard 3 letter country code that pops up innocently all over the place.

Then I guess there's stuff where its not cool in one language but fine in another. Negro is the biggy that stands out there.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 14, 2022, 09:58:25 PMI think of this group as high confidence ethnicities.

I use Pom and Canuck.  Mick might not work with Irish Irish but in my experience it works fine with Irish Americans.  I use gringo too.  Yank I object to on regional grounds.  Only New Englanders are yankees.

I'm not going to call a Jew a kike, but I will say something about Jewfros.

Don't get a lot of chances to use frog.  Don't know how that would play.

I won't call a German a kraut but I will say sommething like "that kraut soccer team is badass."

The original Crazy Canucks and the Vancouver Canucks would be very surprised to learn that Canuck is a slur.

celedhring

Quote from: Josquius on July 15, 2022, 08:16:50 AMSurely by definition if its acceptable to use its not an ethnic slur?

The closest to acceptable ethnic slurs I'd say are where things aimed vs people are racist whilst in other contexts aren't. Jap for instance; not cool when talking about a person...but Japan's standard 3 letter country code that pops up innocently all over the place.

Then I guess there's stuff where its not cool in one language but fine in another. Negro is the biggy that stands out there.

Well, the word in itself isn't racist, but to call somebody "negro" to his face certainly is. Circumstance and intent matter.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on July 15, 2022, 08:40:24 AM
Quote from: Josquius on July 15, 2022, 08:16:50 AMSurely by definition if its acceptable to use its not an ethnic slur?

Well, the word in itself isn't racist, but to call somebody "negro" to his face certainly is. Circumstance and intent matter.

I'm not sure in English that it would be all that appropriate to refer to negroes unless talking about a historical moment.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zoupa

garbon

Quote from: Zoupa on July 15, 2022, 09:19:11 AMPretty sure cel is talking about Spanish.

I'm sure he is but I doubt Jos is.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

I suppose it's time to cancel the United Slur College Fund.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on July 15, 2022, 08:40:24 AM

Whats the normal word for black people?
I'd understood negro remained the standard.

Quote from: garbon on July 15, 2022, 09:21:54 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on July 15, 2022, 09:19:11 AMPretty sure cel is talking about Spanish.

:blink:
What am I speaking about then?
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

QuoteThen I guess there's stuff where its not cool in one language but fine in another. Negro is the biggy that stands out there.

I think he was, given that it's a Spanish word and he was talking about words being a slur in a language and not in others. Just clarifying that certain usages in Spanish are certainly not kosher.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on July 15, 2022, 09:28:57 AM

QuoteThen I guess there's stuff where its not cool in one language but fine in another. Negro is the biggy that stands out there.

I think he was, given that it's a Spanish word and he was talking about words being a slur in a language and not in others. Just clarifying that certain usages in Spanish are certainly not kosher.

I see. My mistake!

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 15, 2022, 09:22:07 AMI suppose it's time to cancel the United Slur College Fund.

I'm not sure how that deviates as it's name is from a historical moment.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on July 15, 2022, 07:15:12 AM

What about "gitano"?  :ph34r: Offensive slur or proper identifier?

@Yi, most of the ones you mentioned sound endearingly old-fashioned rather than offensive to me.

Proper identifier, surely? Hell, its usage is pretty ubiquitous. I.e. https://www.gitanos.org/