Which Ethnic Slurs Do You/Can You Still Use?

Started by Admiral Yi, July 14, 2022, 09:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I think of this group as high confidence ethnicities.

I use Pom and Canuck.  Mick might not work with Irish Irish but in my experience it works fine with Irish Americans.  I use gringo too.  Yank I object to on regional grounds.  Only New Englanders are yankees.

I'm not going to call a Jew a kike, but I will say something about Jewfros.

Don't get a lot of chances to use frog.  Don't know how that would play.

I won't call a German a kraut but I will say sommething like "that kraut soccer team is badass."

Barrister

I don't know if you "can use", so much as it is just pretty antique at this point that it amuses me...

Bohunk.  Slur for someone of central/eastern european ancestry, generally with a "stupid" connotation to it.  And it definitely covered Ukrainians.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

I first encountered Bohunk in Hemingway.  Had to look it up.

Barrister

And I've mentioned this one before.  Not an ethnic slur, but a Canadian prison slang slur.

Goof.

Originated as a term for a child molester.  Generally though just the worst insult you can use to someone in that cultural group.

Eddie Teach

I don't consider Canuck an ethnic slur. Or any type of slur. Now, Canucklehead, that one's fun.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zoupa

Rosbiff, Yanks, Boches, Ritals.

Apart from Boches, I think they're all kosher.

I was in a bar a few months back when an obviously Rosbiff douchebag asked if I was a Yid when I cheered as Tottenham scored. I had to google that one.

Barrister

So sorry Yi if I'm taking the thread in a direction you didn't want to go...

One slur I've encountered since the Russo-Ukrainian war is "khokhol".  It's a russian slur for Ukrainians.  Apparently it has something to do with a cossack hairstyle.

It's no n-word, but it is apparently not okay to use.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on July 14, 2022, 10:10:00 PMAnd I've mentioned this one before.  Not an ethnic slur, but a Canadian prison slang slur.

Goof.

Originated as a term for a child molester.  Generally though just the worst insult you can use to someone in that cultural group.

I don't know if it's current out East, but it definitely is in BC. Surefire way to step a confrontation up a few notches and increase the likelihood of a fight if you fling it at the wrong person.

Jacob

I think the ones that are still okay to use aren't really slurs... Canuck is not a slur anymore than Kiwi or Aussie is, unless I missed something. Those are just nicknames.

Honestly, thinking about it I don't think I use any slurs anymore... hmm... hadn't considered that. But I can't think of any that I use.

Jacob

Quote from: Zoupa on July 15, 2022, 12:22:05 AMRosbiff, Yanks, Boches, Ritals.

Apart from Boches, I think they're all kosher.

I was in a bar a few months back when an obviously Rosbiff douchebag asked if I was a Yid when I cheered as Tottenham scored. I had to google that one.

Well to  be fair, Yid is also one of the historical nicknames for Tottenham fans so asking if you're one doesn't necessarily mean he's a douchebag (though other things could, of course, as you'd be best placed to know).

Threviel

I use kraut and frog which to me feels harmless.

And Orc on the other side of the spectrum.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on July 15, 2022, 12:27:11 AMSo sorry Yi if I'm taking the thread in a direction you didn't want to go...

I's a conversational gambit.  It works if it generates conversation.

Zoupa

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.