News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shinzo Abe Shot

Started by Jacob, July 07, 2022, 10:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on July 08, 2022, 08:32:14 PMWe can still think Japan is being a dick to Korea and the other non Chinese countries in the Region though, right?

You can think whatever you want, HVC. I'm simply explaining how my view of Chinese-Japanese relations have changed over time.

HVC

Thanks, then I'll keep believing Japan treatment of its history is problematic.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on July 08, 2022, 08:59:33 PMThanks, then I'll keep believing Japan treatment of its history is problematic.

Nowhere did Jacob say that wasn't true so why did something he said require you to stop believing that?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on July 08, 2022, 08:59:33 PMThanks, then I'll keep believing Japan treatment of its history is problematic.

It totally is, agreed.

Personally I just rate the level of that significantly below the level of what China's engaged in the present day.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 08, 2022, 05:18:34 PMDidn't people in Japan fairly regularly mask up before covid?

In Korea plenty of people would mask up every winter, but I don't recall seeing it during other seasons.

Zoupa

What rankles is that Japan is a modern democracy. I hold it to a higher standard than China.

Valmy

Quote from: Zoupa on July 08, 2022, 09:20:00 PMWhat rankles is that Japan is a modern democracy. I hold it to a higher standard than China.

Fair. But how low a standard do you hold China?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zoupa

I expect nothing from China yet I'm still disappointed.

Jacob

Quote from: Zoupa on July 08, 2022, 09:20:00 PMWhat rankles is that Japan is a modern democracy. I hold it to a higher standard than China.

It totally rankles and Japan can do better.

But weighed against China, it is trivial. China is already engaging in crimes against humanity and atrocities on a massive scale. And, like I said, I expect they're going to kick off a major war before my children are adults.

Jacob

Meanwhile, in China a well known pop song "Too Bad It's Not You" has been removed from the internet.

Threviel

Roflol, the communists are very light on legitimacy it seems.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Jacob on July 08, 2022, 08:56:57 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 08, 2022, 08:32:14 PMWe can still think Japan is being a dick to Korea and the other non Chinese countries in the Region though, right?

You can think whatever you want, HVC. I'm simply explaining how my view of Chinese-Japanese relations have changed over time.

I think you've made a good case why PRC complaints can fairly be viewed as hypocritical.  But not a case that gets Japan entirely off the hook.  My view is that Abe's legit case for Japanese normalization was undercut by his less than enlightened attitude towards the ugly past.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Yeah I agree - and while I know nothing about this - my sense is it was all part of a piece for Abe.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Japan's issues with its history though existing as they are anywhere in the world, are grossly overstated online.
Eg. Yasukuni. Though you'll read so all the time, what's going on there isn't the "omfg war criminal worshipping shrine. Imagine a shrine to the ss in Germany! And all Japan's leaders worship the war criminals! "
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 09, 2022, 12:37:47 PMI think you've made a good case why PRC complaints can fairly be viewed as hypocritical.  But not a case that gets Japan entirely off the hook.  My view is that Abe's legit case for Japanese normalization was undercut by his less than enlightened attitude towards the ugly past.

No argument from me on that. I do not wish to let Japan entirely off the hook.