Main Menu

Shinzo Abe Shot

Started by Jacob, July 07, 2022, 10:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Except for the the gunman who has rebelliously left his nose exposed.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2022, 05:03:35 PMOdd to see everyone masked.

AFAIK people keep masking relentlessly
in Japan despite it not being mandatory anymore.

Sheilbh

Didn't people in Japan fairly regularly mask up before covid?
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 08, 2022, 05:18:34 PMDidn't people in Japan fairly regularly mask up before covid?

Yup. According to some westerners that live there that I follow the levels of societal pressure to keep masking are enormous. The whole country is still quite paranoid about Covid even at this point.

Jacob

And in Japan you generally mask up if you have the sniffles as a matter of course. So it's probably not seen as some sort of massive social imposition to wear a mask during a pandemic.

DGuller

That looks like a peaceful situation, all things considered.  "Sir, sir, yes you, wait up,  I think you just shot someone over there!"

Valmy

So the assassin killed Abe because he hated some organization he thought Abe was a member of? Is this some kind of anti-Masonic Qanon type paranoid shit?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2022, 06:19:17 PMSo the assassin killed Abe because he hated some organization he thought Abe was a member of? Is this some kind of anti-Masonic Qanon type paranoid shit?

Which organization?

Sheilbh

The Japanese police didn't specify - so possibly not a super helpful briefing.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zoupa

I don't think there'll be many mourners in Korea or China.

Jacob

Quote from: Zoupa on July 08, 2022, 07:11:04 PMI don't think there'll be many mourners in Korea or China.

Chinese social media was full of gloating the moment the news broke.

That said, my opinion on Japan and China and WWII has done close to a full 180 in the last years.

Zoupa

Jacob

Quote from: Zoupa on July 08, 2022, 07:13:59 PMWhat do you mean?

My primary lense used to be "those jerk Japanese are taking insufficient responsibility for the atrocities they committed during WWII (and before), failing to be sincere in their apologies, and that is very concerning."

But by now I've seen enough of how the Chinese government stokes anti-Japanese fervour to stoke the fires of chauvenist nationalism in the Han population to be convinced that no amount of Japanese contrition would change a single thing. Anger at Japan is simply too convenient a tool for the CCP regime at this point and has been for decades independently of the line coming out of Japan.

As an aside, it also chafes a bit how the CCP takes all the credit for the sacrifices and battles from the Nationalists who did the bulk of the actual fighting as they build their mythology.

At the same time, China is a totalitarian imperialist power ruling over conquered territories and trying to ethnically assimilate them gradually (Tibet, Mongolia) or via what's essentially genocide (Xinjiang) right now, in the present day.

Then, of course, there's the fact that China is actively bullying all its neighbours using its military and economic power to assert frankly ridiculous claims.

Additionally it seems likely to me that China will start a major war in the next decade to conquer and destroy a Democratic country based on what is purely imperialist ethnic nationalist rhetoric.

There's also the bit that between various CCP bullshit the party is probably in striking range of Imperial Japan for the murder of and atrocities committed against Chinese people.

So given all of that I'm keen on seeing Japan solidly in the camp of Democracies standing up to China and drawing a line. And bad things that happened one hundred to eighty years ago terrible though they might be - and the layers of mythology and propaganda built on top of that - matters significantly less today in my eyes.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HVC

We can still think Japan is being a dick to Korea and the other non Chinese countries in the Region though, right?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.