News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shinzo Abe Shot

Started by Jacob, July 07, 2022, 10:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

... while campaigning in Nara. Some say he is dead.

Jacob

Looks like it's confirmed that he's dead. The shooter has been detained.

Valmy

Wow that's insane.

I am not sure what else to say.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Nit exactly a fan of the guy, but damn. And incredibly unusual for Japan.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Quote from: Syt on July 07, 2022, 11:08:33 PMNit exactly a fan of the guy, but damn. And incredibly unusual for Japan.

I was just telling someone that my opinion of the guy has shifted a bit in the last little while. An assertive Japan building up military capability seems a pretty good idea if it's going to be mostly pointed at China, IMO.

DGuller

Apparently he's not dead, he's just unresponsive and in cardiac arrest.   :hmm:

Maladict

The Larch

The shooter was aprehended on the spot, and apparently didn't even try to run away. It's a 41 y.o. Japanese national and armed forces veteran, and he shot Abe in the back twice with a home made shotgun. Nothing is known yet about his possible motivations.

Josquius

Very shocking. Japanese politics these days rarely leads to any emotions.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Really shocking.

I've no opinion or knowledge about Abe. But it's horrible for a country to have violence like this in democratic politics like this (thinking of the Jo Cox murder). Awful :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

So, what theory are we working with?
Given the gun and military background I'm leaning towards either just a lunatic or ultra nationalist upset Abe didn't restore the empire as the 2chan crowd said he would.
Though of course at this stage equally likely he's a leftist patriot who in a fit of supreme irony kills Abe for disturbing the pacifist constitution.

Given Abe giving this speech was announced just the day before it seems we might have been lucky he's the only one shot. The guy might have been planning something bigger and had explosives at home.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-62089486
██████
██████
██████

Legbiter

Highly unusual. First political assassination in Japan since the 60's when Inejiro Asanuma was stabbed with a sword. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Duque de Bragança

Highly surprising, in a very bad way indeed.

Legbiter

The gunman shot him from behind with a homemade shotgun at very close range. Shooter is a 41 year old former naval officer. Man, Abe was comfortably elected PM three times and the only reason he was not in power was because of his health problems. I can't even name the current PM of Japan to save my own life.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Yi