News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

You are too young to remember, but...

Started by grumbler, July 05, 2022, 10:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 06, 2022, 09:09:26 AMOn a more local scale, the 1998 ice storm.

Hah, in Hungary that's the winter of 1986. 6 years old me remembers ALL THE SNOW, it's a generational thing definitely, especially since younger generations are quite unlikely to see anything of the sort of heavy and persistent snow in Hungary.

Maladict

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 06, 2022, 09:09:26 AMOn a big picture scale, it is 9/11.

On a more local scale, the 1998 ice storm.

We had a big winter snow with a few days off school about then too. I think it's a good one as just doesn't happen now.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Fall of the Berlin Wall. I am almost of the same age as Syt, so no coincidence.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Larch on July 06, 2022, 05:28:33 AMAs for historical events, something that was before my time but only for a few years and I believe can't be comprehended if you didn't live through it would be the death of Franco

Just as amazing is that all these years later, he is still dead.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

As to the question, about a year ago I could have said inflation.  Alas.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Yeah, like many others I think it's the fall of the Berlin Wall. There's definitely also something to pre- and post- internet and pre- and post- widespread mobile phones, even if they're less discrete events.

I also think there's a significant shift with the death of the last of the WWII generation. I feel like my generation (and earlier) have a very different relationship to WWII than the ones after - even though obviously we didn't live through the war.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on July 05, 2022, 10:42:50 PMFor me most likely the fall of the Berlin Wall, and the subsequent end of the Warsaw Pact and the Soviet Union.

This

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Okay, so the most obvious answers are indeed fall of the Berlin wall, with pre-internet days also a good choice.

But just to give a more Canadian example... the Wayne Gretzky trade.  The best player of all time, at the height of his powers - being traded to LA.

I mean nowadays what with free agency we see lots of player movement so it's no longer shocking but back then it was stunning.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

I was 7 when the USSR collapsed. I vaguely recall knowing something was happening (tv news and such) but not really understanding what was going on, so I don't really count that.

For me it'd be 911. I remember listening to the Howard Stern show while it was happening then going to school. My first class was modern western civilization where we just watched tv news quietly.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PDH

Moon landing here.  I was 3, and apparently I was watching the TV along with the family, but even though I remember more important things from that time (my brother stealing my ice cream, the garbage truck getting a flat tire outside our house), I don't remember that.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

The Fall of Saigon, aged 11 I can remember running home to catch the news of it's fall, I knew at the time this was history happening. Plus it marked the definitive end of the Vietnam war which had unfolded every more bloodily throughout my childhood.

Before that I recall the Yom Kippur war and especially the Kissinger's shuttle diplomacy as it was so extensively covered.

I don't recall the Apollo 11 moon landing, might not have even seen it as it was so late here, but the year after I was captivated by the Apollo 13 drama as it happened, guess being 6 1/2 years old helped.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on July 06, 2022, 02:27:56 PMThe Fall of Saigon, aged 11 I can remember running home to catch the news of it's fall, I knew at the time this was history happening. Plus it marked the definitive end of the Vietnam war which had unfolded every more bloodily throughout my childhood.

Before that I recall the Yom Kippur war and especially the Kissinger's shuttle diplomacy as it was so extensively covered.

I don't recall the Apollo 11 moon landing, might not have even seen it as it was so late here, but the year after I was captivated by the Apollo 13 drama as it happened, guess being 6 1/2 years old helped.

Interesting.  I don't remember any of those things - the end of war in Vietnam, or war there at all; the only thing I remember about the missions to the Moon is the first landing, and I did not know about the Yom Kippur war until I learned about it much later on.

I remember inflation, the oil spike (mainly my father waiting in long lines at a gas station), and my dad making derogatory comments about all those damn hippies. 

Admiral Yi

I remember distinctly reading about the North Vietnamese invasion in the US military newspaper, The Stars and Stripes.  Every day there was a big half page map marked with which provincial capitals had fallen and which were being attacked.  But I don't remember watching the fall of Saigon on the TV.  That might be a function of Armed Forces Television not wanting to show it.  Or maybe I just missed it.