Thailand
0 (0%)
Other (name it)
1 (4%)
USA (Jaron option)
2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on July 04, 2022, 04:27:01 PMWhen I think hipsterized I think of places that serve food on weird "plates". I don't want to eat fries off a shovel, thanks.

I think of food that has altitude.  A meatloaf tower.

I like my food all down at sea level thank you very much.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 04, 2022, 04:39:13 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 04, 2022, 04:17:18 PMIt's not that I want the chef's personal take, but rather walking into an Indian restaurant is like walking into a "European" restaurant that serves all the greatest hits from around europe: a menu of French Onion Soup, spaghetti bolognese, viener schnitzel, beef wellington, swedish meatballs and pyrogies. (and I spent no time coming up with this list so don't roast me on it).

Gotcha.  You want Indian restaurants to be Bengali restaurants, or Tamil restaurants etc.

I don't want them all to be like that, but maybe some,  Or at least for me to be exposed to more different varieties, before me saying it's the #1 cuisine.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Fun trivia about Indian cuisine: Vindaloo is actually of Portuguese origin.  :smarty:

Other typically Asian dish of Portuguese origin? Japanese tempura.

Admiral Yi

And of course Japanese donkatsu is a rip off of snchitzel.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 04, 2022, 06:05:16 PMAnd of course Japanese donkatsu is a rip off of snchitzel.

Which is Italian in origin.

Admiral Yi

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 04, 2022, 06:51:57 PM
Quote from: The Larch on July 04, 2022, 06:18:56 PMWhich is Italian in origin.

No shit.  Didn't know that.

It's based on the "Cotteletta alla Milanese", which is documented since the Middle Ages. The Austrians imported it when they took over Northern Italy.

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on July 04, 2022, 05:53:39 PMFun trivia about Indian cuisine: Vindaloo is actually of Portuguese origin.  :smarty:

Further fun fact: that's fairly common knowledge.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Quote from: Jacob on July 04, 2022, 04:21:10 PM
Quote from: celedhring on July 04, 2022, 03:19:34 PMAs for, "what's becoming trendy now", in Barcelona it's the plague of hipsterised traditional restaurants.

What makes it a plague? And for that matter, what makes it hipsterised?

Some 10 years ago, there were some great new restaurants in Barcelona that took traditional Catalan cuisine, gave it a makeover and put it on the limelight- but now there's a lot of me-tooism going on, with a bunch of restaurants that follow the same concept but it's style over substance, and very overpriced.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on July 04, 2022, 10:42:58 PM
Quote from: The Larch on July 04, 2022, 05:53:39 PMFun trivia about Indian cuisine: Vindaloo is actually of Portuguese origin.  :smarty:

Further fun fact: that's fairly common knowledge.

Well, I find it interesting.  :sleep:

Syt

I learned that during a pub quiz. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 04, 2022, 06:05:16 PMAnd of course Japanese donkatsu is a rip off of snchitzel.

And ramen from China.

That's what Japan does very very well. Nipponify foreign food.
As mentioned native Japanese food, bar sushi, is broadly shit.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on July 05, 2022, 04:55:39 AM

And ramen from China.

Gyozas are also Chinese in origin, right?

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on July 05, 2022, 05:04:06 AM
Quote from: Josquius on July 05, 2022, 04:55:39 AM

And ramen from China.

Gyozas are also Chinese in origin, right?
Si.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Isn't there that map of Mongol invasions spreading dumpling culture all over Eurasia (if so - their greatest achievement)?
Let's bomb Russia!