News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Non Political Images Thread

Started by Jacob, April 21, 2022, 12:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Wonder how he could get the job at such an age.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

He's a councillor and it's just a one year honorary position with no power (but with a fancy office, car and costume). I assume the governing party just rotates it and he won.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 15, 2022, 06:17:19 AMAlso for some reason I always thought New York was far more northern than San Francisco (and it also surprises me that north-south it looks like Toronto is closer to San Francisco than Vancouver).

I am amused that both New York and San Francisco happen to be on the same latitude as southern Italy and Sicily.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

I don't think that it would work for the Westminster City Council, with 54 members, to "just rotate" the Lord Mayorship.  I think that the election of a Muslim and young man was a deliberate jab at the Conservatives, who until May had held the majority in the Council since it was created.  I also noted that, since the Lord mayor is Muslim, so must be his chaplain, who is also apparently the Council Chaplain.

I lived in Westminster for three years and never knew the city had a Lord Mayor.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Same - I didn't live there as long but I had no idea either. And makes sense if it's a jab - also possibly about him being from Westminster and growing up in a council house (I looked him up now) because that's a side of Westminster that is often forgotten, not least by the Tory councils who've historically governed for the rich bits in the middle. I remember being amazed I was in that council area given how cheap my flat was (at the time), but there are areas of Westminster that are among the most deprived in London - which doesn't fit with the image.

Although I suppose it makes sense they have one - it's technically the City of Westminster so it makes sense that, like the City of London, they have a Lord Mayor. From what I can see their main responsibility is picking up the Christmas tree gift from Oslo every year :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!