Ship ahoy or How to get to London the difficult way

Started by Threviel, June 12, 2022, 09:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 13, 2022, 10:28:17 PMSeems Brainiac is the only one who got the joke.

Which is, I'm talking smack about his distant relative who supplied the pine.

:lol:  :blush:

The Larch

That's really cool, Threviel! If you enjoy the experience, I know other people who also do sailing taking paying passengers with them. In their case they do smaller routes around W. Europe (Between Scandinavia, British Isles, Netherlands, the English Channel area and the Iberian peninsula) and from there to the Caribbean and back. You can book shorter stages of around 10 days or full legs of a month or more. They use much smaller vessels (late XIX/early XX century cargo ships), though, so navigation will be a bit rougher.

In case you (or anyone else) wants to check them: https://fairtransport.eu/sail-along/

Eddie Teach

Quote from: HVC on June 13, 2022, 10:43:51 PMThought he were making a new girl reference.

Have you mixed up Yi and garbon again? /smh
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Threviel

I'm in hard training and dieting now, I need to drop about 5kg in 6 weeks. Today I'm at 84 kg, which is 15 kg or so above my ideal weight.

I'm in fairly good shape, I swim two to three times a week and I can probably run 10 km in under an hour.

I will increase my swimming to 4 times a week and see if I can run inbetween and at the same time run a calorie app and eat as little as possible.

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 14, 2022, 07:16:25 AM
Quote from: HVC on June 13, 2022, 10:43:51 PMThought he were making a new girl reference.

When do I make New Girl references?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

So is there going to be a Languish London meet to honour our intrepid Swedish voyager?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on June 14, 2022, 09:59:19 AM

You have seen it, right?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Threviel

Quote from: mongers on June 14, 2022, 11:20:15 AMSo is there going to be a Languish London meet to honour our intrepid Swedish voyager?

The family is meeting up and I won't be popular if I suggest that. But you could visit the ship.

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 14, 2022, 12:48:24 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 14, 2022, 09:59:19 AM

You have seen it, right?

I mean, sure I watched all of it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Threviel

Equipment wise I'm buying some stuff.

An Vangedal (possibly some kind of Danish scout knife) knife with an attached marlinspike.

Blundstone boots to use onboard. 

Armour for my phone that has strings attached. Nothing can be allowed to drop from the masts onto deck.

Plane tickets for the family (ffs that's expensive)

Still looking for a hotel.

Admiral Yi

What exactly is the purpose of a marlinspike?  Does it help with tying and untying knots?

Threviel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2022, 02:22:16 PMWhat exactly is the purpose of a marlinspike?  Does it help with tying and untying knots?

Possibly, I'll get to know in a few weeks.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2022, 02:22:16 PMWhat exactly is the purpose of a marlinspike?  Does it help with tying and untying knots?
It's for getting swordfish drunk.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

It's primary purpose is to pry apart the strands of a rope in order to splice in another rope.  It's also useful to pry apart knots and is a symbol of deck seamanship in the USN (boatswain's mates have to make rate before they can wear one).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!