Ship ahoy or How to get to London the difficult way

Started by Threviel, June 12, 2022, 09:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Riding the tube I find to be quite a fantastic experience in itself for those not used to metros.

Quote from: mongers on June 13, 2022, 09:31:34 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 13, 2022, 09:19:53 AM
Quote from: Josquius on June 13, 2022, 07:10:07 AMI've never been there but I've heard Greenwich is really nice.
It's high on my list for next time I've a day to kill in London.

It is nice but more for a 2nd/3rd or later trip to London.

Josq has been to London a few times, it's just he doesn't suggest a meet-up with other languishites. :sad:
I'm like the SAS.
I get in.
Pop pop pop.
I get out.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

The DLR is a driverless system; so if you are quick you can get the seat at the front and pretend to be the driver    :yeah:

Your kids might like that Threviel...I know i still do  :Embarrass:

Threviel

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 13, 2022, 07:26:39 AM
Quote from: Threviel on June 13, 2022, 04:11:28 AMThanks, and please assume that I'm a country hobo that's never been outside Bumfuck, Sweden.

So the caravanning around France was all a lie?  :o

You know what they say about assumptions...

Threviel

Quote from: Berkut on June 13, 2022, 08:04:54 AMCan you sneak the wife aboard at some point? Do you have your own cabin?  :P

I'll check if the cockpit is free.

Threviel

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 13, 2022, 11:23:35 AMThe DLR is a driverless system; so if you are quick you can get the seat at the front and pretend to be the driver    :yeah:

Your kids might like that Threviel...I know i still do  :Embarrass:

Sounds awesome!

Barrister

Threviel I am super jealous.  Sounds like fun.

Somehow I think about 2 years ago I fell into a deep Youtube hole of sailing videos.  There's a whole bunch of channels of people who post videos of their sailing adventures.  I am now a guy who lives 1000s of km away from the ocean who wishes he was a sailor.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PDH

Remember the Poop Deck is not what it sounds like.

Never throw up over the on the upwind side.

Only let your closest friend hold you from behind at the bowsprit Titanic style.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

It's good to see that they take safety very seriously.  It'd be even cooler if they flew the Jolly Roger and made everyone talk like a pirate, but what they have is pretty damn cool.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp7ox8u7Kas

Hur Ostindiefararen Götheborg byggdes del 3

It all looks very sound and high quality except that ridiculous pine they're using for the decks.  Where did they get that shit?

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 13, 2022, 09:21:39 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp7ox8u7Kas

It all looks very sound and high quality except that ridiculous pine they're using for the decks.  Where did they get that shit?

:rolleyes: Yi the pine expert.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 13, 2022, 09:21:39 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp7ox8u7Kas

I'm not sure what your objection is.  What is ridiculous about the pine that they used?  Do you see something there that tells you that the pine is particularly "shitty?"
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I like the idea of Yi as a pine snob.  I can imagine him going around critiquing people's wood.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Sweden historically has boasted a non-trivial amount of pine forests.

HVC

Portugal used pine for its fleet. Athena forest of Leiria was planned in the 13th century for building material (and a dune stop)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Seems Brainiac is the only one who got the joke.

Which is, I'm talking smack about his distant relative who supplied the pine.