Ship ahoy or How to get to London the difficult way

Started by Threviel, June 12, 2022, 09:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

This might be good for basic city orientation: https://www.frommers.com/destinations/london/planning-a-trip/orientation

And maybe overly detailed basics on tube stations: https://freetoursbyfoot.com/how-to-use-the-london-underground/

DLR is the Docklands Light Railway and until Elizabeth line opened main 'tube-like' line for East London. I say tube-like as it is more of an elevated tramway and like some metros in Germany, many have no ticket gates but require you to remember to tap out. Same system though as all of TFL (tube, bus and rail lines in city).

I'd say yes to your thoughts on tube station, though my general preference has always been to be near a few different lines (or station with multiple lines) for ease of travel. I'm not sure in central london any lines have to strictly be avoided.

As a tourist, I either stayed north of Hyde Park (near to Paddington station) or on the Strand. north of Hyde Park was sort of out of the way but Paddington makes easy to get a few places plus pretty easy to navigate to Notting Hill or roundabout to South Kensington with Natural History museum and Science museum. Strand is much more central but may come with higher hotel price. Been over 7 years since I came as a tourist. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I also found this which also recommends Southbank

https://www.visitlondon.com/where-to-stay/where-to-stay-in-london-with-kids

I'd ignore the Greenwich and Crystal Palace/Forest Hill suggestions unless money is the main object as those are all fairly far from main London attractions so would require a bit of a trek in. Though Greenwich is very close to Canary Whar.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Threviel

Syt

That sounds awesome, though check on your navigator if the East Indiaman heads to America ... wrong direction. :P

Also: play Return of the Obra Dinn as preparation. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I've never been there but I've heard Greenwich is really nice.
It's high on my list for next time I've a day to kill in London.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Threviel on June 13, 2022, 04:11:28 AMThanks, and please assume that I'm a country hobo that's never been outside Bumfuck, Sweden.

So the caravanning around France was all a lie?  :o
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

That sounds very fun.

QuoteAs a tourist, I either stayed north of Hyde Park (near to Paddington station) or on the Strand. north of Hyde Park was sort of out of the way but Paddington makes easy to get a few places plus pretty easy to navigate to Notting Hill or roundabout to South Kensington with Natural History museum and Science museum. Strand is much more central but may come with higher hotel price. Been over 7 years since I came as a tourist. :D
Yeah - the other point is that West/North of Hyde Park is maybe a bit out of the way of some other sites unless you're mainly doing the museum bit of South Ken and palaces. I think around the Strand is better for a more general London trip - South Bank, Bloomsbury, Soho, Covent Garden, St Paul's/the City etc.

I think Greenwich would work as an alternative slightly lower-key base (and it's close to Canary Wharf) but that would be a very maritime focused ending to a very maritime holiday - so you might want a break :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Berkut

This sounds like an amazing couple of weeks. Deckhand on a tall ship, then family vacation in London.

Can you sneak the wife aboard at some point? Do you have your own cabin?  :P
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Richard Hakluyt

Be careful of how close together central London tube stations are. It is easy to walk a longer distance underground, spend time on a crowded train and on re-emerging at the surface find that you are 500m from your starting point.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 13, 2022, 07:39:50 AMThat sounds very fun.

QuoteAs a tourist, I either stayed north of Hyde Park (near to Paddington station) or on the Strand. north of Hyde Park was sort of out of the way but Paddington makes easy to get a few places plus pretty easy to navigate to Notting Hill or roundabout to South Kensington with Natural History museum and Science museum. Strand is much more central but may come with higher hotel price. Been over 7 years since I came as a tourist. :D
Yeah - the other point is that West/North of Hyde Park is maybe a bit out of the way of some other sites unless you're mainly doing the museum bit of South Ken and palaces. I think around the Strand is better for a more general London trip - South Bank, Bloomsbury, Soho, Covent Garden, St Paul's/the City etc.

I think Greenwich would work as an alternative slightly lower-key base (and it's close to Canary Wharf) but that would be a very maritime focused ending to a very maritime holiday - so you might want a break :lol:

But if you are near Paddington, you can take Elizabeth line and Bakerloo to get you central. If hotels cheap enough vs Strand might be worth that bit of inconvenience.

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on June 13, 2022, 07:10:07 AMI've never been there but I've heard Greenwich is really nice.

It is nice but more for a 2nd/3rd or later trip to London.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on June 13, 2022, 09:19:53 AM
Quote from: Josquius on June 13, 2022, 07:10:07 AMI've never been there but I've heard Greenwich is really nice.

It is nice but more for a 2nd/3rd or later trip to London.

Josq has been to London a few times, it's just he doesn't suggest a meet-up with other languishites. :sad:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 13, 2022, 08:14:38 AMBe careful of how close together central London tube stations are. It is easy to walk a longer distance underground, spend time on a crowded train and on re-emerging at the surface find that you are 500m from your starting point.

I've found that investing the time to figure out what busses to take is almost always superior to taking the tube when touristing in London. Less interminable walking in crowded tube stations and a much better view of the city.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on June 13, 2022, 10:01:06 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 13, 2022, 08:14:38 AMBe careful of how close together central London tube stations are. It is easy to walk a longer distance underground, spend time on a crowded train and on re-emerging at the surface find that you are 500m from your starting point.

I've found that investing the time to figure out what busses to take is almost always superior to taking the tube when touristing in London. Less interminable walking in crowded tube stations and a much better view of the city.

I've mixed feelings about busses in central London as traffic can make it burdensome. But as you say may be easier to navigate at times than some of the tube stations that are rabbit warrens.

I would agree for a core portion of central London that walking is best plan.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on June 13, 2022, 10:01:06 AMI've found that investing the time to figure out what busses to take is almost always superior to taking the tube when touristing in London. Less interminable walking in crowded tube stations and a much better view of the city.
Yes - plus buses are more fun (sit at the front, top deck).

Although as a train geek I would take a Crossrail train just to see a new tube(-ish) line which only opened a few weeks ago. But I would, on any international trip, go and see a new-ish metro line because I am tragic :weep: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!