Ship ahoy or How to get to London the difficult way

Started by Threviel, June 12, 2022, 09:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

Tell us more grumbsy! As always very interesting.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Very cool! Congrats! :)

At least some of the pine for the decks came from a distant relative's land.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

grumbler

Quote from: Threviel on June 12, 2022, 01:11:25 PMTell us more grumbsy! As always very interesting.

The original Götheborg was lost by grounding on a well-charted rock that the captain and navigator were aware of and avoiding.  Suddenly, the rudder stopped biting and the ship drifted downwind onto the rock.  The captain argued that the ship had hit "dead water" and so he was not responsible.  "Dead water" is a phenomenon that sailors have know about for centuries, but which was dismissed as mythology by scientists.  It means that the ship suddenly loses control and even is sometimes slowed, stopped, or pushed backwards by some force no one can see. 

The Swedes investigated on and off but couldn't find anything until their scientists were shown a long-duration bit of dead water and they took temperature and salinity samples.  It turns out that dead water is caused by cold, fresh water flowing into a bay or harbor so strongly that it doesn't mix with the denser salt water and forms a layer on top of the salt water that can have different currents, waves, etc from the water below it (just as air does to the water below it) and so the sailors are seeing one thing (the surface layer) but being acted on by the lower layer in a way completely different than what they expect based on what they see.

It's just a kind of neat little story about how science couldn't solve a problem until scientists actually listened to those who'd experienced it, rather than dismissing the witness statements because they didn't conform to what was already known.  Science in the 19th Century didn't have thousands of grad students trying desperately to prove the conventional wisdom wrong in order to secure a tenure-track job.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Threviel

Thanks grumbs, very interesting.

Video on what I'll be doing:

Tonitrus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 12, 2022, 01:19:45 PMWill the menu be hardtack and grog?

With a side of rum and sodomy.  And lash for dessert.

Threviel

The ship is completely white, so I guess I'll have to do with the sodomy and the lash. Also seems to be a lot of women aboard so question mark on the sodomy  :weep:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

There are some men who will indulge you even if women are available, you know.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Made it all the way back from China then sank at the harbour.... Ouch.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Threviel

So... The family wants to join me in London. Wife and two kids 5 and 8.

I looked at some hotels, but I don't know London. The ship will be in Canary Wharf and they will want to be there from the 7th to the 13th or something.

What areas should we be looking at for hotels? Budget some 1000 £, preferably on the cheap end.

garbon

Canary Wharf is a bit dull for children but probably nicest area in east.  That said with things like the DLR and Elizabeth line, you can easily get to Canary Wharf so could end up staying somewhere closer to Central London though prices will go up. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Threviel

Thanks, and please assume that I'm a country hobo that's never been outside Bumfuck, Sweden. I really don't have a clue about London.

What is DLR?

Can I assume that any tube station makes travel easy? Are some lines to be avoided?

I assume that they'll be doing stuff around places whilst I have to work at the ship for a few days. They don't necessarily have to be close by.