Ship ahoy or How to get to London the difficult way

Started by Threviel, June 12, 2022, 09:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

John Elting's Swords Around a Throne here is what you want.  It covers the Grande Armee from the leadership to the training to the foods they ate and everything in between.  Chockablock full of anecdotes and Elting's dry humor (he was a cavalryman before WW2 and then moved up the ranks to colonel during the war so he speaks dogface).  Divided into lots of small chapters so you can set it down easily on short notice.  It's one of my favorite books and I've probably read it five times and used it as a reference dozens of time.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Threviel

Sounds like a great book that I'd enjoy immensely, but perhaps a tad bit too non-nautical for this trip.

Threviel

How is London when it comes to cash? Am I expected to pay with cash like in Germany or can I use my Mastercard everywhere like in civilised countries?

The Larch

Quote from: Threviel on July 04, 2022, 03:58:03 AMHow is London when it comes to cash? Am I expected to pay with cash like in Germany or can I use my Mastercard everywhere like in civilised countries?

Should be pretty easy to pay with a credit card almost anywhere.

Sheilbh

Yeah card more or less everywhere, generally contactless.

My assumption is anywhere that is cash only is into tax evasion :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 04, 2022, 04:06:34 AMYeah card more or less everywhere, generally contactless.

My assumption is anywhere that is cash only is into tax evasion :lol:

Is there something like Bizum in the UK? With it you can pay electronically and evade tax at the same time! Dodgy businesses love it.

garbon

Quote from: Threviel on July 04, 2022, 03:58:03 AMHow is London when it comes to cash? Am I expected to pay with cash like in Germany or can I use my Mastercard everywhere like in civilised countries?

I basically never use cash since COVID debuted. Only time it has come up recently are some small indie restaurants but usually well signed so you would know in advance.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Also, in my experience, barbers. I think it's because it's easier to tip in cash? :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I haven't been to a barber in years...never in the UK.:shutup:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Threviel

Am I expected to tip in restaurants? I'll only be going to kid-friendly places.

Sheilbh

Service charge is normally included. You can tip extra but I don't think there's any expectation, unless service charge isn't included (and then I think probably 10-15% is normal).

Normally no need to tip in cafes or pubs. I think if it's counter service it's not necessary, if it's table service then either there'll be a service charge or it's normal to tip.
Let's bomb Russia!

Threviel

So I'll have to use my street smartness to figure out when? Great, this is going to go horrible. :weep:

On the plus side I'm a stupid tourist and I'll be forgotten i 2 minutes.

I read somewhere that kids are not always welcome, can I bring them into a pub in the touristy parts of London and expect them to be accommodated?

garbon

I'd say I generally don't tip anymore. Always unclear if they'll have credit card machines that ask you for a tip or not - so I typically don't add anything, particularly if a servie charge is listed.

Threviel

Apparently we made am mistake when we booked our flights. My son got the title "Mstr" which means that I can't update his passport info due to gender. Mstr probably being mistress or something retarded.

I'm trying to call BA Swedish support number, but the line is just busy. Apparently BA has no other means of contact, but I've also tried to message them on Facebook. Expect no answer...

We have no titles in Sweden and this shit just infuriates me. Fucking medieval idiots.

Sheilbh

I think Mstr is Master which is a (very formal) title for a boy. I'd check with BA but I don't think you need to change anything.
Let's bomb Russia!