Bruno Mars
4 (25%)
I don't like either
0 (0%)
I've been living under a rock
8 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Neither are on a par to Jackson. Though Bruno Mars is by far the bigger. From the top of my head I can't think of a song of either though I definitely know Mars. Didn't he write a really big hit or two for others?
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

The Weeknd is probably closer. I expect that in a couple of decades how he is into weird sexual stuff.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Is Teh Weeknd some hippity hop nonsense?  I've never even heard of them/him/her.

This millenium has been a tragic music wasteland.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 11, 2022, 10:17:25 PMIs Teh Weeknd some hippity hop nonsense?  I've never even heard of them/him/her.

Nah, he's pop. Did Super Bowl halftime show last year.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 11, 2022, 10:17:25 PMIs Teh Weeknd some hippity hop nonsense?  I've never even heard of them/him/her.

This millenium has been a tragic music wasteland.

The first decade was pretty good. The financial crisis largely marked the death of music alas.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 11, 2022, 09:30:41 PMThe Weeknd is probably closer. I expect that in a couple of decades how he is into weird sexual stuff.
He's pretty open about his cocaine addiction.

Mars is better and a bigger star.

However no star, male or female comes close to Jackson's fame and it will be extremely difficult for anyone to reach that level again. Jackson grew up on TV in front of the audience's eyes when there was only a few channels.

Even someone like Ed Sheeran who has dominated the British charts for a decade isn't as famous in Britain as Jackson was famous in America in the late 80s.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Larch

You've heard him for sure, even if you don't know who he is. Guy is Canadian of Ethiopian origin and does pop/alternative R&B.

QuoteThis millenium has been a tragic music wasteland.

Nah, that just means you've become old.

Eddie Teach

I guess it should be pointed out I was talking about Jackson's falsetto rather than his fame. In that case, the choices would be Taylor Swift and BTS.

Maladict

Eddie Teach

Who else gets 100 million views on YouTube within 24 hours of release? Nobody.

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on June 12, 2022, 04:40:50 AM

You've heard him for sure, even if you don't know who he is. Guy is Canadian of Ethiopian origin and does pop/alternative R&B.

QuoteThis millenium has been a tragic music wasteland.

Nah, that just means you've become old.

Music quality dropped off a cliff predates my turning old :contract:
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

I'd say Bruno Mars. I don't associate Jackson with, I suppose, soft boi R&B.

QuoteHowever no star, male or female comes close to Jackson's fame and it will be extremely difficult for anyone to reach that level again. Jackson grew up on TV in front of the audience's eyes when there was only a few channels.
Yeah I think probably the closest would either be Britney and Timberlake from Disney to pop stardom without a gap, or Bieber. There is almost certainly some child superstar on TikTok who's going to be a pop icon in the 2020s who none of us are aware of.

But you're right back then it was only a few channels so that type of fame is unlikely to happen again.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 12, 2022, 08:40:37 AMYeah I think probably the closest would either be Britney and Timberlake from Disney to pop stardom without a gap, or Bieber. There is almost certainly some child superstar on TikTok who's going to be a pop icon in the 2020s who none of us are aware of.

But you're right back then it was only a few channels so that type of fame is unlikely to happen again.

Not to mention Jackson was the quintessence of American pop-culture at amoment when it was ascendant globally.

I don't think there are many stars who have equivalently deep and wide impact as Jackson not only in the US and Europe, but also in Asia and Africa.