News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite Tom Cruise movie

Started by celedhring, June 02, 2022, 09:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your favorite Tom Cruise flicks?

Risky Business
0 (0%)
A Few Good Men
5 (18.5%)
Edge of Tomorrow
10 (37%)
Collateral
4 (14.8%)
Minority Report
6 (22.2%)
Color of Money
0 (0%)
Magnolia
4 (14.8%)
Born the 4th of July
0 (0%)
Jerry Maguire
4 (14.8%)
Top Gun
6 (22.2%)
Top Gun: Maverick
1 (3.7%)
Rain Man
2 (7.4%)
The Firm
2 (7.4%)
Eyes Wide Shut
2 (7.4%)
One of the Mission: Impossible flicks (name which)
5 (18.5%)
Other (name it)
5 (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2022, 02:25:53 PMNever even heard of Rock Ages.  :huh:

I haven't seen it, but I remember hearing about it.  Came out in 2012, a musical with 80s rock / hair metal songs, kind of in the vein of Mamma Mia.  It seemed very strange.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

A Few Good Men. It's hard to top Jack Nicholson's performance in this one, and he's the star.

Top Gun, both of them.  I liked Iron Eagle.  And it wasn't because of the acting or superior plot.  :sleep:
I got a weak spot for aircraft fighter movies, I guess.  I really wanted to pilot a CF-18.  Faith decided otherwise.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 02, 2022, 02:31:28 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2022, 02:25:53 PMNever even heard of Rock Ages.  :huh:

I haven't seen it, but I remember hearing about it.  Came out in 2012, a musical with 80s rock / hair metal songs, kind of in the vein of Mamma Mia.  It seemed very strange.
It's a light hearted silly comedy.  Similar plot to Coyote Ugly and many other quite ordinary movies of the same style.  But I got to admit that Tom Cruise is fantastic in his role.  So was Catherine Zeta-Jones.  Come to think of it, all of the supporting actors are great.  The problem lies with the leads. And the silly rehashed plot.

But if you remove the soundtrack, that movie is totally worthless.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Days of Thunder.  When I skipped that one, I skipped an auto racing movie and a Tom Cruise movie.  The Tom Cruise movies I have enjoyed have all been in spite of his appearance.  I find him stiff, phony, and boring.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

He's been in a lot of halfway decent movies, but no great ones.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Not a big Tom Cruise fan, but Edge of Tomorrow for me. Probably because his smug character gets killed in many hilarious ways. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

He always mystified me. As said he seems pretty creepy. Not much variety in his performances, not particularly natural, and he's a fairly basic looking short guy.... Yet time and again he keeps getting blockbuster films, even after some duds nothing stops him, even picking weird Sci fi scripts it usually works, his career keeps going and he remains a superstar.
And I don't think it can all be credited to scientology as this goes right back.

Edge of tomorrow was good I recall for sure. As was minority report.
I think I remember the firm being decent but that may just be memories of wolf of wall street.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

He has maintained possibly the largest fan base of any actor in the world. That probably makes him very low risk for blockbusters.

Razgovory

Quote from: Josquius on June 03, 2022, 01:51:53 AMHe always mystified me. As said he seems pretty creepy. Not much variety in his performances, not particularly natural, and he's a fairly basic looking short guy.... Yet time and again he keeps getting blockbuster films, even after some duds nothing stops him, even picking weird Sci fi scripts it usually works, his career keeps going and he remains a superstar.
And I don't think it can all be credited to scientology as this goes right back.

Edge of tomorrow was good I recall for sure. As was minority report.
I think I remember the firm being decent but that may just be memories of wolf of wall street.
His brother Ted is really creepy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

Quote from: Maladict on June 03, 2022, 05:22:16 AMHe has maintained possibly the largest fan base of any actor in the world. That probably makes him very low risk for blockbusters.

There's this American distributor I met once, and said that they divided up the world (market-wise) between "sophisticated" and "unsophisticated" countries. Apparently "they love Tom Cruise" was for them a marker of belonging in the second group  :lol: 

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on June 03, 2022, 11:29:32 AM
Quote from: Maladict on June 03, 2022, 05:22:16 AMHe has maintained possibly the largest fan base of any actor in the world. That probably makes him very low risk for blockbusters.

There's this American distributor I met once, and said that they divided up the world (market-wise) between "sophisticated" and "unsophisticated" countries. Apparently "they love Tom Cruise" was for them a marker of belonging in the second group  :lol: 

Tom Cruise hasn't made a "sophisticated" movie for the last twenty years.  Even before that he made very few more arthouse-type movies (Vanilla Sky, Eyes Wide Shut, Magnolia).

Tom Cruise makes blockbusters.  They might not all succeed, but they're aimed at a wide audience.  So he might not get the same recognition from the film cognoscenti, but he remains a box office draw for 30+ years.  If you go to see a Tom Cruise movie you know you'll probably be entertained.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2022, 02:09:13 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 02, 2022, 10:07:28 AMYou forgot "Taps"

Good call.

Watched it the other weekend.  Had no idea a young Giancarlo Esposito was in it.  He was the cadet that got burned trying to refuel the boiler.

Tamas

Collateral is underrated, you should watch it.