Does it matter who owns art? (a version of cultural appropriation)

Started by Barrister, May 04, 2022, 11:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2022, 10:24:59 AM
Quote from: Jacob on May 20, 2022, 12:18:45 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 20, 2022, 12:15:10 AMHow do you know what the majority voice is?

You're the one who made the statement+20 that Somalis complained about it. I believed you.

All such complaints are going to be made by a minority.  You can't interview the majority.  The majority can't complain about cultural appropriation because the majority can't be in the same place at one time. 

So can't katmai.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on May 20, 2022, 09:31:23 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 20, 2022, 02:10:49 AMI'd venture to say the majority of Somalis don't give a shit if American actors portray them in American movies.

Actually, they were British actors for the most part.

Damn Brits, stealing our jobs.  <_<
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Actually, the Somalis who saw the film were pleased with how they were represented according to CNN .  They disagreed with some of the history it told, but thought the Somalis in the film were portrayed as very brave and victorious.

The film didn't really deal with Somali culture.  Films that do deal with non-Western cultures can be superficial (e.g. Little Big Man) because the director doesn't care, or can be quite accurate (e.g. The Last Wave) if the director believes that fidelity adds to the film's value.

It's going to be hard for a director to get the money to do the research and hire the expert advisors unless the backers are convinced that it is a worthwhile investment.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!