News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Russia Thread

Started by Jacob, May 03, 2022, 04:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

So apparently Russia is pulling out of co-operating on the International Space Station. Makes sense I guess.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

So what does that mean?
There's alternatives to soyuz now luckily, nonetheless a lot of that station is Russian, can they shut down the station?
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Not enough dogs to abandon in orbit, I guess.

Barrister

The ISS was specifically designed to require both US and Russian components, exactly to prevent this kind of "go it alone" move.

That being said, Dmitri Rogozin (head of Russia's space agency) is full of bluster.  He makes all kinds of threats, and yet Russian and NASA continue to co-operate.  I've seen no news reports that definitely say that Russia is pulling out.

The most important Russian component is the thrusters - they have to fire every once in a while in order to keep the station in orbit.  Russia is required to give 1 year's notice of any pullout, and presumably NASA to jury-rig something to fly up there to keep it in orbit in that time now that they have easy rocket access through SpaceX.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

I don't know if this is definite enough by your metric. Maybe it is still bluster, I don't know: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-30/russia-will-quit-international-space-station-over-sanctions

QuoteRussia Will Quit International Space Station Over Sanctions
Russia space agency head says partners to get 12 months notice
Agency had earlier this month threated to end ISS missions

Bloomberg News
April 30, 2022, 3:59 AM PDT

The head of Russia's space program said Moscow will pull out of the International Space Station, state media reported, a move it has blamed on sanctions imposed over the invasion of Ukraine.

"The decision has been taken already, we're not obliged to talk about it publicly," Tass and RIA Novosti reported Roscosmos General Director Dmitry Rogozin as saying in an interview with state TV on Saturday. "I can say this only -- in accordance with our obligations, we'll inform our partners about the end of our work on the ISS with a year's notice."

Rogozin earlier this month threatened to end Russia's mission unless the U.S., European Union and Canada lifted sanctions against enterprises involved in the Russian space industry.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Russian government officials are so fucking unreliable  :bleeding:

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

:P   You can find anything on the internet.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Solmyr

Crazy_Ivan80