Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

Started by OttoVonBismarck, May 02, 2022, 08:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 24, 2022, 01:34:04 PMIs it right that I read the New York gun control law that's been overturned is 108 years old?

Yes and generations of legislators, judges and scholars lived and died without anyone ever thinking there was anything unconstitutionally unfirm about it.

One of the most iconic episodes in American history, glorified repeatedly in film, are the Earp brothers' adventures in western boom towns.  And of course whenever Wyatt took on the badge, he put in place the sensible rule - no guns in town.  There is no record of any frustrated unarmed cow hand invoking the 2nd amendment . . .

The appeal to history is just a judicial 3 card monty game, where the "history" always seems to support one's side, and where the inconvenient examples are just swept away. 

The end result is work like Thomas' opinion in that case falls that repeatedly into unintended parody of itself, for example as it seriously discusses the supposed details of 14th century regulations of lances vs. dirks. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Larch

From WSJ, a graph on where states stand on abortion at the moment:

CountDeMoney

Missouri's trigger law to ban all abortions kicked in minutes after the SCOTUS decision.  Medical emergency only.  No exemption for rape and incest, which are apparently acts of love when she's really hot.

The Larch

Missouri has just triggered its abortion ban law. It will now only be allowed in case of grave danger to the mother's physical health.

Edit: CdM'ed.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 24, 2022, 03:24:10 PMMissouri's trigger law to ban all abortions kicked in minutes after the SCOTUS decision.  Medical emergency only.  No exemption for rape and incest, which are apparently acts of love when she's really hot.

This is the Ozarks.  If there were exemptions for incest basically all abortion would be legal.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on June 24, 2022, 02:48:13 PMSaid it before, will say it again - this will be like the dog catching the car...

Several states have already caught the car, humped it against its will, and then refused it an abortion.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 24, 2022, 05:37:51 PMCanada is going to have to increase its quota of refugees.

They can just come to Joisey (or Oregon).

The Larch

crazy canuck

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on June 24, 2022, 08:05:04 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 24, 2022, 05:37:51 PMCanada is going to have to increase its quota of refugees.

They can just come to Joisey (or Oregon).

I was referring to the post that they are coming for homosexuals next.

Razgovory

The 2022 election really needs to be a referendum on abortion.  I doubt it will.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

Let's focus on the important stuff, like Trans ppl in sports or interns at lefty organizations.

Admiral Yi

Those are good ones.  So are the Ukraine war, sports, movies, books, the economic situation, etc.