Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows

Started by OttoVonBismarck, May 02, 2022, 08:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

DGuller

Quote from: Zoupa on June 24, 2022, 12:20:04 PMWhere's Susan Collins? She'll straighten this all out in no time.
She's in a state of deep concern.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 24, 2022, 11:08:54 AMThis is what result oriented jurisprudence looks like - same court, same majority, same 24-hour period:
[...]
Threats to "pontential life" - requires interest balancing.  Threats to actual life - nothing to see here, move along.

A woman's right to autonomy and control over her body - must yield to legislative judgments about other interests.
 A man's right to conceal carry on a crowded NYC street - absolute and cannot be overcome by even the most compelling state interest in public safety.
Is it right that I read the New York gun control law that's been overturned is 108 years old? It also seems like "historical understanding" is relevant to some issues but not others.

QuoteShe's in a state of deep concern.
Thoughts and prayers.

It's really grim :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Let me get this straight. Not only is America not doing the sensible thing out of the latest school shooting but they're actually doing the opposite?

They can't seriously believe this will help. Must be the politics of spite.
██████
██████
██████

merithyn

Quote from: HVC on June 24, 2022, 11:17:31 AMInsurrections, crackpot leaders, weekly and sometimes daily mass shootings, Banning abortions. Throw in inequality and povwrty and the US is giving south American countries a run for their money as far as crappy  countries go.

Many South American countries are better than we are now.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Zoupa on June 24, 2022, 12:20:04 PMWhere's Susan Collins? She'll straighten this all out in no time.

If she's smart, she'll be hiding in her bunker with McConnell.

Valmy

So now it goes to a state vs state battle until the Republicans gain control of the house/senate/presidency again.

Up to the American people how they want this to go.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2022, 02:11:47 PMSo now it goes to a state vs state battle until the Republicans gain control of the house/senate/presidency again.

You already know how they'll choose.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on June 24, 2022, 02:13:23 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2022, 02:11:47 PMSo now it goes to a state vs state battle until the Republicans gain control of the house/senate/presidency again.

Do I? Thanks to Roe this hasn't really been a single issue voting deal for a lot of people. We'll see.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2022, 02:15:24 PM

Do I? Thanks to Roe this hasn't really been a single issue voting deal for a lot of people. We'll see.

If you don't, you haven't been paying attention. It will be a Republican rout and abortions will be illegal because THEN the SCOTUS will decide that it really is a federal thing and shouldn't be left to the states.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on June 24, 2022, 02:22:00 PM

If you don't, you haven't been paying attention. It will be a Republican rout and abortions will be illegal because THEN the SCOTUS will decide that it really is a federal thing and shouldn't be left to the states.

This country is pretty gerrymandered, I don't think a huge rout when the Dems are already in a pretty weak state is possible.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 24, 2022, 01:34:04 PMIs it right that I read the New York gun control law that's been overturned is 108 years old? It also seems like "historical understanding" is relevant to some issues but not others.

And I read somewhere that it quotes as part of its historical reasoning to defend its decision the post-English Civil War period. Truly relevant.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on June 24, 2022, 02:25:24 PMAnd I read somewhere that it quotes as part of its historical reasoning to defend its decision the post-English Civil War period. Truly relevant.
It's really weird how big a deal 17th and 18th century jurists are in the US and how basically irrelevant in England. I suppose it's because that is the intellectual context of the founders but it's still odd.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

LOL. It's been a single issue voting deal for more than enough people the last 40 years to accomplish what they wanted to accomplish. Just like the guns.

If only there was some way this sort of thing could've been prevented...

Barrister

Said it before, will say it again - this will be like the dog catching the car...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.